• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 or go to FLEXJET

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, i felt the same way until i got here. First of all, you wont be taking a paycut, it will be a raise, i know where you are at now. And how many 3/4 trips are you doing now?

Ill have to admit, i do miss the airlines, but this place is so much better in so many ways.. You will be over 100K by year 5 for starters..

Well, I'll concede on that point and should've been a little more clear. The type isn't really important, however, experience outside of 121 is a must if corporate is a direction you want to go. While it is still who you know, having only 121 time is a problem for a lot of decent operators, right or wrong Personally, having worked both, I think it's a bit silly-but that attitude exists on both sides.

I've got to disagree, here. Having the type, and even better, having time in type gives you a huge leg up in the hiring process. Most operators have a training budget, and paying for a recurrent is a lot cheaper than an initial.

As far as 135 and 91 operators not liking to hire guys with only 121 time, it makes sense to me. Outside of the flying, the jobs are really not all that similar. Even the flying part is not that similar.

I've got to disagree, here. Having the type, and even better, having time in type gives you a huge leg up in the hiring process. Most operators have a training budget, and paying for a recurrent is a lot cheaper than an initial.

As far as 135 and 91 operators not liking to hire guys with only 121 time, it makes sense to me. Outside of the flying, the jobs are really not all that similar. Even the flying part is not that similar.

Well...back from vacation I see! Should've known you'd jump on this :D

Thinking back to the guys that we've seen move on, I think that the larger/better gigs will hire based on experience and, even more so, recommendations/connections rather than just type. Think of RO and the others who went down to the corp gig at DTW, or AB who's going to school soon on a new airplane...do you think type played a big role there? However, having the type will certainly get you in the door/on the phone, so, yeah the type is useful.

As for the flying, it seems to me that attitude goes a long way in any pilot. Anyone can learn either side, it's whether they accept the change in duties or not that seems to make the difference.

Talk to you soon.

I dont know who to agree with here. I walked into a job without a type in the aircraft that I was going to be flying and was typed and made Captain right off the bat. I think that it depends on the individual more than anything when it comes to getting the job.
I interviewed for 5 different jobs and was offered all 5 of them and was not typed in any of the aircraft.

As for Airline flying and Corporate flying I would have to agree with DK here that, even though I have not flown for the airlines, it is a totally different kind of flying.

So, what was the ultimate decision? Did he stay or did he go to Flex? I'll take the CL300 job if he didn't take it...

Latest resources

Back