• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 or go to FLEXJET

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tough question depending on what you want. Are you single/married/family? Does the schedule (Flex is a 6/4 on avergage but is much more subject to change than some of the others) work for your life?

I came from a fractional to a regional (granted, I came in as a captain and would not have done it otherwise-couldn't afford it) and I haven't looked back. 121 fits my life better, hard days off mean more to me than pretty much anything else, and my feelings are echoed by two other guys I know in my position.

Yes, you are treated considerably better on the road at a frax, but remember, you are spending a ton of time out there with occasionally very long hotel stays so you should be treated better. As for the airplane, the 300 is nice, but who cares? It wears off no matter what you're flying, and to the type rating...most corporate operators are not SWA-you don't need a type for an interview. It is about who you know and what experience you have, they'll provide the type to anybody they like.

Make your decision based on quality of life, after everything else wears off that is what you're left with-good luck on the choice.

Exactly. I second what Raskal said.
Fractional Flying is not for everyone, I've met 2 guys that fly for NetJets, and eventhough they really like the pay, how they are treated and the equipment they are pretty unhappy b/c they can't get adjusted to the 7/7. It's just not for eveyone.
Everyone talks about getting a CL300 type like others did about getting a 737 type years ago. They make it sound like if you get the CL300 type you'll get a great corp job! Secondly who cares that the daily rate in CL300 is 1000 bucks, that just means that if you have a 6/4 schedule at flex you will have to make extra mula on your day off. And last I checked if you have a family you better take care off them (I dont only mean financially).
Do what you think will be the best fit for you. Some people like the fractional schedule, but dont like doing the other things (cleaning the aircraft, loading bags, etc) Others dont mind it but cant get adjusted to the 7/7.
The thing you have to understand about 7/7 is that you work pretty hard those 7 days, and once you're home it takes you a day to maybe two to recover.
But if you really want the fractional thing, then I would say go to NetJets, or if you go to flex take it if you get the CL604. Citation Shares if an ok company as well. I would just steer away from FlightOps, and Avantair (pay is not as good, and you get worked to death everyday)
If you though that 14 hour duty days at the airlines were bad, then you havent had 7 14 hour duty days in a row. Atleast at the airlines a 14 hour duty day rarely happens, and if it does you're sitting on your A$$ for most of the day.

*****I was just reporting what I have heard (hence the comment "I've heard that"). We have a number of people here that used to work at FlexJet and they loath the place. I don't know anything more than that.
As for me, I'll keep my 18 day off schedule working mostly day trips. 2-3 nights away from home per month are more than enough.

I heard Britney Spears won parent of the year. Am I alone on this one?

...most corporate operators are not SWA-you don't need a type for an interview.
I agree on the A/C type...it all grows old. Most operators want to see time in type. Saves on recurrent rather than initial and the more experience in type; the lower the insurance. As well, having experience in 135 will open more doors for you. Alot of 121 guys get turned down for 135 or 91 jobs because they don't have that experience, which is very lame in my opinion.

A corporate type rating in your pocket can only help. Good Luck

Yeah, and you might want to steer clear of CitationShares too. Lousy non-union bastards, all the do is ride the coattails of NetJets.

-$55k+ First year pay $500/day OT rate
-Over $100k after 4 years $900/day OT rate
-Paid uniforms
-Positive space commute
-100% match on 401K up to 6%
-Offers 7/7 (7 days vacation twice per month)
-Set Schedule for entire year
-Top Tier Hotels all while be treated as a valued buisness traveler.
-72 hour layovers in Rich People places
-$55/day per diem to eat/drink/entertain yourself while laying over in rich people places
-Brand new clean airplanes
-Respectful PAX

We all make mistakes during interviews Shamrock. Not everyone makes things up to spite the company that won't hire them.

Good Luck,

RCA

I agree on the A/C type...it all grows old. Most operators want to see time in type. Saves on recurrent rather than initial and the more experience in type; the lower the insurance. As well, having experience in 135 will open more doors for you. Alot of 121 guys get turned down for 135 or 91 jobs because they don't have that experience, which is very lame in my opinion.

I guess given a choice, you'd rather sit in a Lear 45/Citation/Beechjet cockpit for many hours per day than a wide, comfy Challenger 300 cockpit. The A/C type can make a difference - especially when you are completely jaded like you.

Well, I'll concede on that point and should've been a little more clear. The type isn't really important, however, experience outside of 121 is a must if corporate is a direction you want to go. While it is still who you know, having only 121 time is a problem for a lot of decent operators, right or wrong Personally, having worked both, I think it's a bit silly-but that attitude exists on both sides.

I guess given a choice, you'd rather sit in a Lear 45/Citation/Beechjet cockpit for many hours per day than a wide, comfy Challenger 300 cockpit. The A/C type can make a difference - especially when you are completely jaded like you.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. It DOES make a difference. Better to have a cabin you can walk to the lav in rather than crawling on the floor by the pax

Latest resources

Back