• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 night ops into ASE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CRJ as in CRJ200, yes, underpowered. The CRJ 700 however is not. I have gone to dinner with the tower controllers and they said we were one of the the best performing airplanes operating out of ASE. They said they regularly see corporate guys not making the climb gradients on departure.

What a Dork you are.

CRJ as in CRJ200, yes, underpowered. The CRJ 700 however is not. I have gone to dinner with the tower controllers and they said we were one of the the best performing airplanes operating out of ASE. They said they regularly see corporate guys not making the climb gradients on departure.

That controller must not have been around in the days of the 146/Avro then. And yes anyone taking a CRJ 200, even empty, there is asking for trouble.

That controller must not have been around in the days of the 146/Avro then. And yes anyone taking a CRJ 200, even empty, there is asking for trouble.

I guess I should clarify. The dinner with the controllers was over 5 years ago when SKYW just started the ASE flying. They made the comment about the CRJ700 as in that moment. I agree, the BAE146 was a much better airplane for ASE. (Think boxed canyon turns and turn radius). However, at that moment, the CRJ700 was one of the best performing airplanes flying in and out of ASE at the present time of the comment. (IE: Best climber on a day to day operation, meaning not underpowered) The statement did not compare the CRJ700 to previous aircraft, such as the BAE146.

The only time performance is tight is going missed at 10 feet while losing an engine at max landing wieght with a 10 kt tailwind on a hot day. So many factors have to line up to make it tight performace but then believe it or not your abiltiy as pilot actually comes it play, at least in the sim it did. Going in there at night during crap wx is the closest any non navy pilot will ever come to doing a carrier landing and sadly im pretty sure the two dont compare! ASE does push the 700 to it limits, ive seen it.

The tailwind isn't as big a concern in that scenario as is a strong right crosswind.

And I give Russ the best advice award. The real gotcha is the crosswind component on the miss.

Genny Lee is sitting in his basement apartment, wearing nothing but a thong, and has smeared peanut butter where the dog won't otherwise go...
I contributed!

I've been in there dozens of times, that's not the issue chief. I'm trying to see what current folks are doing. Great advice from the mesa guy....either contribute or shut up

That was a contribution. I'm not a Mesa guy either. If you feel like killing yourself and your pax then go for it.

Latest resources

Back