• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1200 hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will second that the caravan is probably some of the most pointless time in your logbook besides single engine piston. If your stuck in one with low hours then it can be extremely difficult to move out of the plane. You dont have multi pic you dont have complex time you dont have any experience with a fast airplane. The thing I hear from all the long term van guys is that they love the airplane and would never leave. I think they all say that because where would they go? They aren't current in anything but singles and how are you gonna get a pay raise changing to another single. So they stay put and brainwash themselves into thinking the van is a good airplane. Van pilots are a special breed who have no desire to advance and dont mind never breaking 40k a year. Sorry to be blunt but that is how it appears to me. My van time has done nothing for my career and it is only the fastest plane at the airport from 3 miles in.

flagshipper said:
I will second that the caravan is probably some of the most pointless time in your logbook besides single engine piston. If your stuck in one with low hours then it can be extremely difficult to move out of the plane. You dont have multi pic you dont have complex time you dont have any experience with a fast airplane. The thing I hear from all the long term van guys is that they love the airplane and would never leave. I think they all say that because where would they go? They aren't current in anything but singles and how are you gonna get a pay raise changing to another single. So they stay put and brainwash themselves into thinking the van is a good airplane. Van pilots are a special breed who have no desire to advance and dont mind never breaking 40k a year. Sorry to be blunt but that is how it appears to me. My van time has done nothing for my career and it is only the fastest plane at the airport from 3 miles in.

yea all good points. Oh well, at least Im flying multiengines also.

ROSWELL41 said:
Do most Ameriflight new hires go directly into the Navajo?

Most do, but if you have the required time and are willing to take a little more obscure outstation run, you could come in direct to the BE99 or possibly even SA227. Go to the company web site and check out "Current Openings" under the pilot employment section.

Everyone is fixating on what looks best in your logbook. True, that is
important in some ways, and I know, heaven forbid you should ever get
stuck flying something that doesn't burn kerosene. BUT! Piston single time is
where I really learned how to be a part of the IFR system, and where I
learned a lot of lessons about weather.
LEARNING-----MORE impotant than turbine time;)

dpilot83 said:
Define required time please? Thanks

"Book" times for the 99 are 1800 total and 350 AMEL PIC. Turbine time and additional AMEL could possibly get you in with less total. The main thing I would say is put in your online app and give them a call.

Three reasons to avoid the caravan:
1. Multiengine time is typically much more valuable, even if it is piston driven. 2. They don't do well in icing conditions.
3. I'll second Eatsleepfly's beef, it stinks getting stuck behind them in the evening cargo rush. You could be going 170+ on approach, or restricted to 140 behind a Caravan.

time builder said:
Three reasons to avoid the caravan:
1. Multiengine time is typically much more valuable, even if it is piston driven. 2. They don't do well in icing conditions.
3. I'll second Eatsleepfly's beef, it stinks getting stuck behind them in the evening cargo rush. You could be going 170+ on approach, or restricted to 140 behind a Caravan.

Now i gotta come in on this one, I routinely do 170 on approaches at least until 800-1000 agl then i start slowing down. But thats the one place that it IS sorta fast, is on approach.

Matter of fact, ive gotten yelled at in charlotte for having to much overtake on a regional jet twice.

Don't worry, the Van drivers are getting yelled at all the time. It's just that ATC usually keys the mike when they are doing it.

Btw, do the give the Martex guys special training in jackassing a plane around the ramp during Indoc? God help one of you if the brakes ever go out on one fo those things.

Latest resources

Back