Votes: 9 10.0%
  • ONE-TWO YEARS

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • TWO-FOUR YEARS

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • NEVER AGAIN

Votes: 8 8.9%

• Total voters
Probably another couple years, to four years, before the regular competitive mins get that low (possibly less). Folks have gotta realize that such hiring stats are completely unrealistic, and were even unbelievable at the time.

It still kills me to hear fifteen hundred or two thousand hour pilots speaking of themselves as "high time," and "experienced."

Those who got hired during the time frame when minimums were so low had a very unrealistic snapshot of the industry.

On a sidebar note, some friends flying a Gulfstream for a large company were fired yesterday. We recently had a thread discussing corporate flying, and these individuals were flying for that corporation. Yesterday, the owner of the gulfstream approached everyone, the entire flight department, and fired them with two minutes notice. That's corporate life. Yes, there are some great success stories, but I don't know anyone personally flying corporate who hasn't experienced this several times. Very fickle, and they were all very experienced, and had been there a long time.

That wasn't related to the origional question, but it wasn't worth starting a new thread for.

Multi requirements

Another good question would be predictions on when minimum multi hours will drop.

A year ago commuters were hiring with 50-300 of multi <gasp>. At this point I'd bet you need 400-800 of multi to be considered for a commuter, and at least 2000 total and your ATP. These were typical figures during the last war and recession ten years ago.

Of course, you have to consider many factors, including slow hiring, furloughs and glut of available qualified pilots. As the economy improves, furloughees will be recalled, but it will take a while for the system to absorb them.

Last edited:
It depends on the company. I know of a few companies that are still hiring with low time. I know of someone who got hired at a regional that flies 1900 with under 1000 total and 100 multi. I also know someone who was very recently hired at an RJ operator with 1200 total and less than 200 multi. Jobs are still out there for the lower time pilot. Maybe it's who you know, but low timers are still being hired today.

Its all relative. There are guys out there with 20,000 hrs that are scary and there are 1,000 hr pilots that are truly gifted. Time spent at the controls of an airplane does not lower one's inbred stupidity.

Its a shame that hiring has been reduced to a bunch of meaningless numbers that have no correlation to actual skill or experience.

What happened to the sim rides? I have been in sim sessions at Simuflite where the 7,000 hr PIC rolled the airplane inverted and crashed 5 times on a single engine go around IN THE SAME SIM SESSION!

If I was hiring someone to fly my $20,000,000 airplane I would want to make sure they at least know how to use a RUDDER PEDAL

Take the following examples:

1. A 4,000 hr CFI with 500 multi in a Seneca teaching at an FBO in Pueblo, TX

2. A 1,500 hr ATP with 800 jet time flying the Northeast Corridor

Who is more qualified for a commuter FO job? Who will be called for the interview? The answers are usually different

I would say the 1500 ATP is more qualified. The 4000TT CFI shows lack of initiative while the ATP has more experience in complex aircraft.

I don't necessarily agree that the 1500 hour pilot shows more initiative. More than likely for a 1500 hour pilot to have 800 hours of jet time, means he was flying right seat in uncle Louies Lear when he was a 700 hour pilot. I agree with an earlier post, Time doesn't necessarily = skill.

flydog said:
Take the following examples:

1. A 4,000 hr CFI with 500 multi in a Seneca teaching at an FBO in Pueblo, TX

2. A 1,500 hr ATP with 800 jet time flying the Northeast Corridor

Who is more qualified for a commuter FO job? Who will be called for the interview? The answers are usually different

There is a lot more to consider than numbers:

1. Where IS the commuter job? Boston, Mass or Laredo Texas?
....makes a big difference.

2. What does the commuter fly? A C402 or a B1900?

3. 500 hours in a Seneca with (1) engine running vs. 800 hours in a jet in cruise flight with BOTH engines running? Who is more up on engine out performance?

4. 4000 hrs with 500 multi equals to SEVERAL years in the business. Lots of good info has been passed down. 800 hours in a jet is barley 12-18 months.

5. Was the 1500hr pilot military trained or was he flying in his cousin's Ce500 tuning the radio with no stick time?

I was one of the last guys from "the old school." Most of my contemporaries have 1000+ hours of dual given. Now, CFIs are insulted if Eagle of Comair haven't called by 1000 total time. It's not always what time you have, it's what you've done with your time.

4000 hr CFI v. 1500 ATP with Jet

You shouldn't say the 4000 hour 500 multi CFI lacks initiative. Sometimes it's just plain hard to get a chance. Take it from me, a 4500 hour CFI, as someone who tried and tried and who knows.

But, as a practical matter, yes, the jet guy certainly would step ahead of the CFI in the interview sweepstakes. No matter how much of a bias I may have, I'd have to agree with H.R. on this one.

Latest resources

Back