12 year old girl getting sued

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared said:
OK, here we go with the "technology makes stealing easy, so stealing is OK" excuse.
So, by this rationale, if someone invented a relable lockpicking machine, which you could buy in any hardware store for 50 bucks, and it could pick most household locks in 20 seconds, burglarly would then be OK? And if your house got broken into it would be your fault for "failing to see it would be a problem" ?

why? you agree that they are thieves, why shouldn't we villanize thieves? "sharing" is a misnomer, it's not yours to share. You're stealing

There's an enlightened moral outlook, your mother must be so proud

I'm not at all surprised. I'm also not surprised that you don't understand this isn't something to be proud of.

Oh freaking goodness.

Where did I say that technology making stealing easy makes it Ok? I ADMITTED THAT IT STILL IS WRONG!!!

Re: BigD

jarhead said:
Is it possible that the RIAA considers that the downloaders will never buy the CDs to start with? How can you "P.O." a market that never buys your products in the first place? "Inquiring minds want to know"

jarhead - the RIAA pisses me off, and I buy music (CD's) all the time. I do ocassionally download mp3's, but usually for local bands around here that don't put out CD's, and to listen to an album to determine whether or not it's worthy of my 16 bucks. In my experience (read: friends, family, etc), people that download music ALSO buy CD's. They download mp3's of music they'd never buy on their own. If they plop down close to 20 bucks on a CD, it better be an album they really, really like. That's always the way it was. But with mp3's, they can also get anything else too.

Big D

Good point! But the "locals" probably are not part of RIAA ????

A Squared

You have no TV, and obvioulsy aren't a music fan. How do you stop those crazy voices in your head, ohh never mind. You do it here. Nutjob square.

dude

Re: Big D

jarhead said:
Good point! But the "locals" probably are not part of RIAA ????

lol! Nope, the locals all hate the RIAA with a passion. :D I have a lot of friends in bands (in Austin, it seems that everyone is either in a band, or was once in one!) and they pretty much make their money by playing gigs. They don't actually produce CD's or mp3's for distribution. So sometimes I'll record their live sets via MiniDisc, encode the individual songs to mp3, and they allow the songs to be downloaded for free from their website. I also share these files on Kazaa. They love the technology because it allows them to get their music out there.

But here I am using a P2P service like Kazaa for a completely legal, positive thing - yet the RIAA is trying to shut them down. IMO it's no different than people suing gun manufacturers for murders, or fat people suing McDonalds. This is the crap that's upsetting me about the RIAA.

This lawsuit and the lil girl smell like sh!t, and I'll tell you why

How could a 12 year old sign up for internet, specifically internet fast enough to enable the alleged thief to download massive amounts of songs that triggered the lawsuit? Usually, it is DSL or cable connections that offer speeds needed to amass the number of songs that pegs the scales of RIAA. Even if it was a simple AOL account, parental consent had to have been required, and thus her mother should be sued as the rightful operator.
Second of all, Kazaa is free to anyone who wishes to download it, so the entire bit about the little girl and her mother paying 29 or so dollars to download it is a total wash. Had it been a pay for fee service like that apple.com, there would not have been a lawsuit.
And thirdly, songs aren't "listened" to on Kazaa, they are downloaded and kept on a harddrive of a PC, usually in a place that is easily shared with other Kazaa users (unless the operator chooses to locate the files elsewhere, thus protecting him/herself, but degrading the data flow across the network).
So far it sounds like a wash, but both the defense and the plaintiffs have a lot of material on their hands to make it work.

A word for file sharers, keep your songs in a separate folder, i.e. not the shared one.

BigD

Understood!

Now, I rarely by CDs, and when I do, it is usually Mozart or Bethoveen stuff for the SUV. Lots cheaper than living artists. (Bethoven doesn't get much of a royalty now that he's dead!)

That said, I still like music. It was announced today that Simon and Garfunkel are having a reunion tour to several cities this fall. One for them is in St Paul, MN, near where I live. Tickets for good seats are expected to run $250 each, My wife and I are going to that concert, and will purchase tickets on line on Monday, when they go up for sale on TicketMaster. Now, that's $500 bucks for a 90 minute to two hour concert. I'll go for it, but if they were $1,000 for a pair of tickets, I'd pass. This really is about what the market will bear. Same with CDs. Too high a price. don't buy them. Same with a live concert. I do not "blame" Simon & Garfunkel for charging "too much" That is not what free enterprise is about.

Last edited:
I'll tell you abotu the RIAA...

They can kiss my a$$ and I'll yell that up and down the street. The only reason this 12 year old got caught is because her mother signed up for that service and the RIAA got a hold of that list and called her up. What she should have done is use one the anonymous peer to peer file sharing services like I use to download my music. The RIAA are the ones who are stealing by charging over 20 bucks for a CD when it costs the $1 to make. The RIAA will never stop anyone using P2P software and I'll keep using it till the cows come home!

I download songs, but most of the songs I have downloaded are LPs that I once had years ago. Does that make me a criminal for downloading music I already purchased in a different format?

The RIAA went after a 12 years old honor student living in a housing project. Really bad PR. If a 12 year old was caught stealing a tape from Walmart, she might be forced to make restitution. A $2,000 settlement plus all the lawyer fees is extreme and overkill.

I agree that the behavior is illegal and the RIAA has the right to stop it, but their methods of enforcement are too much.

Cd's

After reading this thread I thought some of you might find it interesting that I worked for a very competitive company for awhile that made cds. When they shipped from the factory the cds were sealed with stickers on them and ready to be set on the store shelf. The recording companies paid .68 cents a cd. The cassettes where closer to 30 something cents. What a mark up!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back