• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

12 Jan Class???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A long time ago there was an thread that covered the basics on the "interview to hire" ratio. Ran a couple of searches for it, but no luck. I believe the ratio was something like 4 folks interviewed for each hired pilot. Various reasons for the other 3 not getting hired---ranging from experience a bit too low to the plain fact that the person wasn't a good fit for the SWA personality.

Any inputs on what statistics the "new interview" might bring about? Should be folks with tons of capability lined up, especially when the computer starts racking and stacking people according to "points" (or whatever the correct term ends up being). That tells me that the ratio might be narrowed down a bit. Admittedly, there are people overly qualified as well as those who've just made the mins (but SWA has shown the mins are as good as anything if the person is the right fit). From the above 2 posts, the numbers may be 1200 interviews in 2004 to get the approximately 400 pilots...then continuing into the next year.

Anyone have a clue what the lovely ladies at Recruiting might be planning?

Interview ratio

From what I understand, Southwest does not have any hiring quotas. The ratio has turned out to be about 1 in 4 historically. If you get called by SWA (according to one of the hiring PD ladies), SWA thinks you are good enough for the job. The remaining question is: when they talk to you are you a good fit to the culture and are you "Southwest" Captain material since they are not going to hire career FOs. I don't know why the new system would necessarily change historical statistics so that the ratio would decrease to say 1/3? In other words, how is the new system going to bring pilots to the interview board that are a better fit to Southwest's culture, better attitude or make a better Southwest pilot than the current? I guess I don't see how...I guess I think it'll probably be the same.

Last edited:
Swerpipe...makes good sense. How does the old saying go? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?". I've heard often over the years that the SWA folks have a pretty good idea that you're wanted if they give you a call. Then, it's up to you to confirm their expectations. Good input on the fact that they're looking for the future Captain in you should they give you the call. Good luck to all waiting for a chance.......

Coopdog

You asked when I got the update on the 5 additonal aircraft (1 lease, 4 buys) to post it. Here it is:

I posted previously SWA announced 4 a/c buys & 1 additional lease in the last quarterly webcast. This is the updated info on -700 deliveries and -200 retirements.

-700 adds -200 retirements

Jan 2 1
Feb 1 0
Mar 2 0
Apr 6 2
May 2 2
June 9 (yea!) 0
Jul 4 4
Aug 6 2
Sept 4 1
Oct 5 2
Nov 3 1
Dec 3 2

total 47 17

We'll have 5 -200s at the end of '04 if all things remain the same (unlikely).
Expect all -200s to be gone by end of Jan '05. Things change & will continue to so don't go bet the house on this. I've not compared it to the old list, too much work but obviously June is a big month for us. We open up PHL in May. I won't even begin to speculate what this all means but in terms of hiring, combined with the numbers of retirements, the round number of 400 looks pretty good.

Future retirements as of 07-01-2003 seniority list:

2004-80
2005-98
2006-151
2007-151
2008-139
2009-108
2010-141
2011-155
2012-148
2013-103
2014-134
2015-145
2016-169
2017-155
2018-168
2019-180
2020-185

The number of 25+- per year is thrown around a lot when it comes to folks who are medically eliminated combined with early retirements.

Some additional info on what improvements are being made at SWA stations around the system:

This memo is the most recent update of major projects around our system that are either recently completed or to be done in the next 60-90 days. Not all major cities will be shown since some projects’ completion dates occur beyond the next 90 days.

All Cities: The installation of boarding pass readers is complete. Modifications of gate striping for winglets has been completed at nearly all stations with the exception of two gates at LAX.

BWI: The taxiway project will be completed December 15th, at which time we will have all 23 gates open. That total will decrease to 21 gates from January 2004 to May 2005 while the Pier A/B project is under construction. Our expanded T-point is now in operation.

CRP: Our move to the new ATO space is delayed to January due to the late completion of work near our new t-point. We have been in the new gates since late 2002.

HOU: The opening of more new gates in the central concourse will take place in late March, 2004. The Hudson News Euro Café (bookstore and coffee shop) opened before Thanksgiving.

MCI: The renovation of our ticket counter, ATO and gates will start in February, resulting in our use of temporary gates for a year (no reduction in gate count). When completed, we will have larger gate areas and fewer security checkpoints.

MDW: Our gate count increased by one to 17 gates on November 19th (two weeks early). The last two gates will become available in June, 2004. Three more lanes were added to the security checkpoint prior to Thanksgiving.

PDX: We are working with Cargo to move into a larger facility that will accommodate the growing traffic that we are experiencing. We now expect to occupy the new space in January, 2004.

SJC: The City has agreed to give us access to more gates effective immediately and additional ticket counter space which will require some conveyor work. That work is expected to start in January, and in the meantime we have added 4 kiosks at the counter and 2 in the bag claim area.

Look forward to seeing the new arrivals in Jan. Make sure you know your SWA trivia!!!! Good luck & happy holidays!

Thanks Chase

Looks like they're delaying a couple -200 retirements for a few months (from your previous list)....good news.

Also looks like SWA is going to be the customer of the month at Boeing this Summer. :)

Thanks for all that info brother!

Makes sense

Announcements of more frequency on some routes.

Four New Roundtrips Added to/from Midwest
Southwest will add one daily nonstop flight each way between the following cities on April 4:
• One between MDW and FLL (for a total of three daily)
• One between MDW and MCO (for a total of three daily)
• One between MDW and CMH (for a total of six daily)
• One between CMH and BWI (for a total of three daily)
This will begin in the spring I believe. This adding of frequency is what really helps the bottom line in my opinion. The infrastructure is there, we're increasing utilization of gates, folks, & providing more frequency for the business traveler which is what they really want. Announcing new cities is nice & when other airlines announce they are opening up places they often don't open up with the frequency that we do & if they don't they don't usually have the luxury of adding more flights in the future at the rate we seem to do. We're often not taking folks from other carriers but merely providing the opportunity for folks who would not have normally flown, given them the ability to fly. have a great weekend.
cheers

Latest resources

Back