• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1000 PIC Jet/Turbine Watch

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Will this thread continue when you're say 2000, 3000+ turbine PIC and still not a decent job offer? (pay raise, better QOL)?

Hi!

Whew, with a little help from The Supreme Being, I got our taxes done and sent in today. Yeah!

Oh, on that note-I vote for a National VAT or Sales Tax, or a Flat Tax. The Tax Code SUKS ROCKS!!!

Here's the story, in very abbreviated form, because the long version would be, well, long.

Started flying with my dad in middle school. 1st 2 lessons in Grade 9. Then, no more lessons, as my dad wouldn't spend the money, and he wouldn't let any of us have jobs while we lived at home.

Got an AFROTC pilot slot (AND scholarship-LUCKY!!!) at Auburn and flew through my solo with ROTC money. Dad said he would pay 1/2 to finish my private, so kept flying and got my private at AU.

Waited about 8 months after graduation to start AF rotary wing flight school at Ft. Rucker. Later went through fixed-wing qualification at Vance AFB. After 6.5 years in the military I had 1000 helo and about 600 ME Jet (all SIC/student).

I had the money to get my instructor rating or ATP MEL. I choose the ATP, which was not a good move, I later found out. At this point I had about 10 hrs PIC airplane.

I got out in 1991, and applied everywhere. I got a Delta interview (pure luck-I met somebody who got me in), then a letter from Comair stating I didn't meet the minimums. A couple of years later Comair called back and wanted me to PFT, which would've cost me about $14K and would've paid about $14K as a new FO. I turned them down.

In 1991 I started teaching GED part-time, and was a D-II volleyball assistant (I had been a D-II volunteer assistant one year while in the AF). I got a D-I job, as the 1st assistant (for grad assistant pay) in Green Bay. While I was coaching I got all my masters classes done (never finished the thesis), and then started in on WI Teacher Certification.

I quit coaching college, and coached one year of HS and one year junior college while I was substitute teaching and finishing my teacher certification. Then, after we had our first kid, I quit coaching VB altogether (I also coached junior club VB, similar to AAU basketball, for 9 years) and kept teaching in one form or another.

After I got my teacher certification, I taught 1 year in a public school, while I was applying at different airlines. In 2001, I got in the pool at USA Jet and then a class date at TSA. I waited to start TSA until after the school year ended, and had my sim check on 9.12. NICE timing!

I was furloughed later in Sep, and started substitute teaching the next day. USA Jet got me back in the pool, and then gave me a class date in Jul, 2002. Then ACA offered me a job, out of the blue, and TSA recalled me while I was at the sim at USA Jet. After 2 years at USAJ, I made Falcon capt, and now, 2.5 years later, I'm ALMOST at 1000 PIC Jet (and about 1020 PIC airplane), 2700 airplane, and 3700 TT (with NO military conversion).

So, 31 years from 1st lesson to 1000 PIC Jet/1000 PIC Airplane.

cliff
YIP

Next step is to bid into the DC-9 in the May class and Rich's sim partner.

Hi!

Barnyard: I think I have a "decent" job now. I'm on my 4th career, and a bunch of jobs, and so far USA Jet is the best job I've had, considering the working conditions and the pay.

Update:
YIP-CYHM-SDF-YIP
978.0 hours PIC Jet

Oh, my friend told me he talked to FedEx's Chief Pilot. Starting at 990 hours, they will "shadow" me by following me around in one of their Challengers in my last 10 hours of flying. Then, when I land on the leg that puts me over 1000 PIC jet, they will pick me up and fly me directly to Memphis so I can start class that day. They'll have me do all the new-hire paperwork in the Challenger and give me basic indoc on that leg, so I can go directly into systems class as soon as we get to MEM.

I'm excited!

cliff
YIP

Last edited:
Hi!

Whew, with a little help from The Supreme Being, I got our taxes done and sent in today. Yeah!

Oh, on that note-I vote for a National VAT or Sales Tax, or a Flat Tax. The Tax Code SUKS ROCKS!!!

Here's the story, in very abbreviated form, because the long version would be, well, long.

Started flying with my dad in middle school. 1st 2 lessons in Grade 9. Then, no more lessons, as my dad wouldn't spend the money, and he wouldn't let any of us have jobs while we lived at home.

Got an AFROTC pilot slot (AND scholarship-LUCKY!!!) at Auburn and flew through my solo with ROTC money. Dad said he would pay 1/2 to finish my private, so kept flying and got my private at AU.

Waited about 8 months after graduation to start AF rotary wing flight school at Ft. Rucker. Later went through fixed-wing qualification at Vance AFB. After 6.5 years in the military I had 1000 helo and about 600 ME Jet (all SIC/student).

I had the money to get my instructor rating or ATP MEL. I choose the ATP, which was not a good move, I later found out. At this point I had about 10 hrs PIC airplane.

I got out in 1991, and applied everywhere. I got a Delta interview (pure luck-I met somebody who got me in), then a letter from Comair stating I didn't meet the minimums. A couple of years later Comair called back and wanted me to PFT, which would've cost me about $14K and would've paid about $14K as a new FO. I turned them down.

In 1991 I started teaching GED part-time, and was a D-II volleyball assistant (I had been a D-II volunteer assistant one year while in the AF). I got a D-I job, as the 1st assistant (for grad assistant pay) in Green Bay. While I was coaching I got all my masters classes done (never finished the thesis), and then started in on WI Teacher Certification.

I quit coaching college, and coached one year of HS and one year junior college while I was substitute teaching and finishing my teacher certification. Then, after we had our first kid, I quit coaching VB altogether (I also coached junior club VB, similar to AAU basketball, for 9 years) and kept teaching in one form or another.

After I got my teacher certification, I taught 1 year in a public school, while I was applying at different airlines. In 2001, I got in the pool at USA Jet and then a class date at TSA. I waited to start TSA until after the school year ended, and had my sim check on 9.12. NICE timing!

I was furloughed later in Sep, and started substitute teaching the next day. USA Jet got me back in the pool, and then gave me a class date in Jul, 2002. Then ACA offered me a job, out of the blue, and TSA recalled me while I was at the sim at USA Jet. After 2 years at USAJ, I made Falcon capt, and now, 2.5 years later, I'm ALMOST at 1000 PIC Jet (and about 1020 PIC airplane), 2700 airplane, and 3700 TT (with NO military conversion).

So, 31 years from 1st lesson to 1000 PIC Jet/1000 PIC Airplane.

cliff
YIP

Cliff, your drive and tenacity are impressive. You deserve the best.
Good luck

guys, I dont want to burst your bubble, but...

when you get your 1000th hour of turbine PIC, there will be no fire trucks shooting water cannons over your plane as you taxi in. the reality is that you just joined the club with about 10000 other pilots. there are people out there with 3000 and 4000 hours of turbine pic still waiting for FEDEX to call.

hopefully you all have the right hook ups with these companies.

There always has to be a negative one on the baord.....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back