Who is John Galt?
Well so are you!

Well so.

Well stop transmitting on guard.

Well why don't you?

Well you first.

No you first.

Seriously. Just stop already.

Since my airline monitors guard on a regular basis (I'm pretty sure we're all supposed to except in oceanic or deep non-radar/HF only environments) I hear an exchange similar to the one above basically every day of a pairing.

The tone in the voice of the aircraft letting the guy know they are transmitting on the guard frequency usually oozes with contempt -- and of course I'm sure that guy has NEVER made a mistake on the radio such as:

Calling Ops on Ground Freq.
Calling Ops on 121.5
Calling the Tower on the Passenger PA
Making the Pax PA on Center Freq.

One thing that is very common is for the responding aircraft to say "On GUARD!" and the original aircraft then proceeds with, "Yeah we got 87 wheelchairs (it's a Florida destination), 15 UM's, and please call the Marriot at 555-555-5555, and oh, is Bunny still working there?"

I believe that "on guard" sounds just close enough to "go ahead" and then it ends up congesting the frequency unnecessarily. So here's what I've found works:

1. Look at your audio panel and radio frequency before you transmit on a new frequency or on a standby radio.

2. Accept the fact mistakes are gonna happen and go easy on the folks. You're bound to make one eventually.

3. Say the frequency (e.g. "Aircraft transmitting you are on one-two-one-point-five") rather than just GUARD.

That way I can go about reading my Useless Today and only having to perk my ears up for the drama when I hear: "Aircraft approaching Prohibited Area P-56, this is the US Air Force..." :D

Hmmm let me guess Cpt X is former Military????

you should take your own advise: Accept the fact mistakes are gonna happen and go easy on the folks. You're bound to make one eventually.

Yesterday I heard this, and almost died!

"This the the united states Airforce on guard aircraft squaking 1200 at 5000 ft you are in a restricted area turn 330 to exit. "

Enter the dork airline pilot:
"Your on Guard"?

Kudos to Capt. X

The funniest guard exchange I heard the other day--
The pilot gave his whole in-range report on guard. Out of everywhere--you're on guard, check freq, you are transmitting on guard, etc for about 20 seconds. Then after a pregnant pause you hear "GUARD NAZIS!" I laughed for 5 minutes!:laugh:

Hmmm let me guess Cpt X is former Military????

you should take your own advise: Accept the fact mistakes are gonna happen and go easy on the folks. You're bound to make one eventually.

Actually you guessed wrong. Would have loved to be a military driver but the stars were not aligned. Well, aside from my clandestine F19 missions over Benghazi in the late '80s.

And yes, I have made mistakes. Plenty of them. My point is let it go rather than polluting the damn frequency with the further unnecessary traffic in case someone actually needs it.

Kudos to Capt. X

The funniest guard exchange I heard the other day--
The pilot gave his whole in-range report on guard. Out of everywhere--you're on guard, check freq, you are transmitting on guard, etc for about 20 seconds. Then after a pregnant pause you hear "GUARD NAZIS!" I laughed for 5 minutes!:laugh:

Too funny.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back