Your College Degree.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

For those of you who have a college degree, I have a few questions.

1) What is your degree in?
2) Why did you choose the degree you did?
3) Would you major in the same thing, if you had to do over again?
4) If your answer to #3 is no, than what would you major in?

I am just a little confused right now. I know the track I want to follow to become a pilot. I recently enlisted in the Air National Guard, and when I graduate from college, I plan to apply for, and hopefully get a pilot slot. Of course, I eventually want to go to the airlines.

I am just trying to get an idea of some good majors.

-Thanks!

PilotOnTheRise said:
1) What is your degree in? Aeronautical Science
2) Why did you choose the degree you did? Seemed like a good plan
3) Would you major in the same thing, if you had to do over again? No
4) If your answer to #3 is no, than what would you major in? I would major in something that would give me more options. A backup degree sort of...if the airline thing didn't work out.

Hope that helps ya...

Pick the one you're most interested in. If you don't do calculus in your spare time for fun, don't pick engineering, 'cause the guys that do will eat your lunch. If you like English, pick English. Pick scriptwriting if that's what you do for fun.

It's nothing more than a "check box" on an airline application (Bachelor's degree? Yes/No) so it makes no difference. Do it from an accredited school, I think there are several "distance learning", like University of Phoenix that aren't recognized.

At some point in your career, you may need to prove that you excelled in college, maybe applying for law school, grad school, or even that pilot management job. When you do, you'll be glad you chose the major that got you the best grades, not the one you thought would most impress the airline hiring folks.

Because the military tends to like engineering major graduates of the Academies for fighter slots and test-pilot slots, a lot of folks think they need to slog through aeronautical engineering at Kansas State University to get that first regional job. Not so. Major in what you love and get good grades.

Whatever you do, don't skip the bachelor's degree. It's a prerequisite for almost anything professional now.

Uh, oh. . . .here come PilotYip. . . .

I'm graduating in December with a Bachlors of Business Admin in Finance and Economics. It is a backup, and should I not be able to fly one day, i'd want to go the finance/accounting route. Aside from being a sim instructor or ground school teacher what can you do with a flight science degree? That was the biggest turn off to me. I was told though, that the ANG likes science related degrees. Look at the costs related as well, you can sure do your flight training a lot cheaper than if you were to go to a pilot factory.

No College here. HS diploma only, 1.7GPA in fact! I'm now a mid-level seniority captain at UPS. Guess I should have gone to college afterall!

I'm thinking of going with a Bs. in Geography, with a focus in climatology/meteorology, and geographical information systems. That is an interest if mine, especially weather, and it is technically a "science" degree.

I'm not aware of exactly what the Guard looks for, but I do know that active duty, especially ROTC, usually doesn't care what your degree is in, as far as pilot applicants are concerned. Apparently they actually prefer the "technical" degrees, such as engineering, for other jobs.

I am horrible at math, and I hate it. Therefore, I am not going for engineering, physics, or any other degree that involves more than your basic level maths.

Think BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP!!!!!

What happens if you lose your medical or are laid off ask yourself what would I want to do?

No College here. HS diploma only, 1.7GPA in fact! I'm now a mid-level seniority captain at UPS. Guess I should have gone to college afterall!

Well, I bestow on you an honorary B.S.!!!

Latest resources

Back