Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Avi8tor2000

Big Papa
I was just wondering in all honesty, would anyone who is a FO, or anyone who used to be for that matter: would you (or would you have had) an issue flying with a Captain who is 23 years old? Would this have presented any problems unique to the situation or would it be just like a normal cockpit relationship? Thanks for your time.

I am fifteen to twenty years older than many of the captains with whom I fly, and I am three years older than the owner of the company and the check airman.

Since they chose flying as a career before I did, I expect them to bring real world flying experience to the table. Although they don't always agree on a particular procedure, I manage to learn something about the company's operation of these jets every time I fly.

On the other hand, I have survived the pressure cooker of broadcast journalism, and long ago learned how to survive high risk situations using decision making skills, diplomacy, and an extensive library of life experience.

Between my experience and theirs, we have a good flight every time. It's a team effort, and that's what CRM is all about. Whether or not this is representative of other "cockpit relationships" is academic. If the captain and FO can get along, get the job done, and gently check each other's actions for errors, there shouldn't be a problem with relative age, or gender for that matter.

Avi8tor2000 said:
I was just wondering in all honesty, would anyone who is a FO, or anyone who used to be for that matter: would you (or would you have had) an issue flying with a Captain who is 23 years old? Would this have presented any problems unique to the situation or would it be just like a normal cockpit relationship? Thanks for your time.

Hey Avi8tor2000,

As somebody on the other end of the spectrum, a very young captain at Delta, I haven't really seen a problem with it. I think in my career, I have flown with 7 or 8 people younger than me. I have never really experienced a problem with it. Sometimes it is a little cold when you have a retired Col or Gen. in the right seat on the first leg, but if you cut them a little slack and think of it from their point of view, they loosen up in short order.

If you are the elder and have one of the young punks in the left seat, I really can't help you from that perspective. I have never flown with a captain younger than me. I can't imagine having a problem with it though. Experience goes beyond age.

Young Punks?

Puffdriver's right: "Experience goes beyond age."

I retired from the USMC at age 43 with 20 years and 4000 hours flying experience. In the last 7 years flying for three different Part 121 carriers I've flown with lots of captains who were much younger than I.

I've never had a bad experience related to age difference. I credit that fact to the professionlism and character of those "Young Punks" I called Captain.

It's all about attitude - from both sides of the flight deck.

Good luck!

Age isn't as much of a factor as maturity. I've noticed that some of the quickly upgraded captains were really insecure. Any little thing that happened caused them to get irate because they thought the passengers would think it's their fault or something, even though nobody noticed. In general, the older captains seem to be a little more laid back, but I've flown with some great young captains too.
Younger pilots in general seem to be more cocky.
I feel bad for some of the young pilots because they really can't win when they fly with a crustbag. If they're enthusiastic, you think, just shut up already. If they start to complain and sound bitter, you think what the heck are you bitter about, your're lucky to get a flying job so young...

I'm 30 years old and just upgraded with my company. I flew with a captain who at the time was 23.

At the time, this captain had been flying with an FO who was around 50 years old. The two of them were having problems flying together and I was asked by the CPs office to fly with the captain. I flew with this guy for a little while and definately saw where the other FO was coming from. This captain had a big attitude problem and his attitude was a danger to the airplane.

Some people were fortunate enough to get an early jump on flying. As long as they don't keep reminding you that they are 23 and an airline captain, I don't see a problem. You fly with all sorts of people in this industy and have to be able to fly with them all.

Respect v. Maturity

I would have been in that position and I absolutely, positively, would have had no problem with it. It's all relative. I figure that if I had started fifteen or twenty years before we'd be about the same age.

I figure that this other person is there for a reason. He/she is the Captain, age difference notwithstanding. I would have had no problem with it whatsoever. Even if the captain was young enough to be my son or daughter or, a couple of years earlier, was my flight student (and, in effect, I was the Captain).

It all turns on respect. As PuffDriver mentions, maybe the problem is more with the FO in question. If, indeed, the FO is some former military bigshot who got into airline flying later, that person needs to swallow some pride. He/she needs to realize that he/she is starting out again and exhibit humility. On the other hand, you do get some 23-year-old captains who are not especially mature by anyone's standards, and need to learn respect. Maybe they can learn from the situation as well.

PS-This is a good discussion. Also, a potential interview question.

Last edited:
The good thing about flying with really disagreeable pilots is that you will be asked about the situation in your next interview...

I have no problem at all flying with younger captains. They ALL are. A 23 year old captain has been with the company long enough to meet minimums and has demonstrated competency in the job. If my captain were 23, however, I'd simply have to add one more task to my normal duties -- I'd have to rent the car at the destination.

Latest resources

Back