• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You think the Airbus landing was bad, consider this

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like good short runway technique... Get it down and get it stopped..!

CitationLover, I never said he was landing at Midway. I was using Midway as a comparison to Meigs, whereby Midway also has short runways, surrounded by building-generated turbulence. But, the 72 at Meigs almost made contact with the right wing. There's another video out there that shows the 72 rudder going full deflection in both directions prior to landing... maybe a bit overcontrolled. I'll try to find that video, but viewed from the other angle, it really looks hairy.

BSkin, I know what you're saying about the 4,000-foot thing, but we land 737's in less than 4,000 feet all the time. It's not that hard to do with a headwind.

Using less than 4000 feet and having only 4000 feet to begin with are two different things.

The second to last clip in that video string shows the landing from the left side as opposed to the right as with the rest of the clips. It does appear a bit more dramatic from that side. Not a bad job at all in my book, though.

Shut Up and Color

I know the man, BC Thomas, great pilot. He has more SR-71 time than anyone ever will.

Those of you that want to trash him have at it, but rest assured you are way out of line. Perhaps some of you nay sayers can tell us your great aviation stories, perhaps the one about how you flew an ILS in a C172 w/an inop auto pilot.

Last edited:
CitationLover, I never said he was landing at Midway. I was using Midway as a comparison to Meigs, whereby Midway also has short runways, surrounded by building-generated turbulence. But, the 72 at Meigs almost made contact with the right wing. There's another video out there that shows the 72 rudder going full deflection in both directions prior to landing... maybe a bit overcontrolled. I'll try to find that video, but viewed from the other angle, it really looks hairy.

BSkin, I know what you're saying about the 4,000-foot thing, but we land 737's in less than 4,000 feet all the time. It's not that hard to do with a headwind.

Arm-chair quarterback extraordinaire, What a useless thread you have started. Have you flown the 727 into short runways? No. Apparently you have no clue as to what you're talking about. Perhaps you should work for the media.

Arm-chair quarterback extraordinaire, What a useless thread you have started. Have you flown the 727 into short runways? No. Apparently you have no clue as to what you're talking about. Perhaps you should work for the media.

Agreed, having done it with the 727 before on short runways in the middle of the Pacific, at night, in the rain, with water on each end of the runway, flying NDB DME arc approaches qualifies me to say....GOOD ENOUGH baby!

Agreed, having done it with the 727 before on short runways in the middle of the Pacific, at night, in the rain, with water on each end of the runway, flying NDB DME arc approaches qualifies me to say....GOOD ENOUGH baby!

you are my hero,no lie !

A big "whatever" to this whole stupid thread....

Latest resources

Back