You guys have me scared

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Opinion?

Look before you leap, have plan B at the ready, and send the rose colored glasses to the recycle center.

So its not a total waste of time? The way I look at it, if it doesnt work for me, I can still make close to $40K yr doing what I do know. And I can fly. If it does work, I can fly and get paid to do it!! What do you think of that? Im not 100% depending on it, but sure am praying itll happen. Wife is make alot, so its not all depending on me at this point.

With secondary skills and a supportive wife who earns good money, you are set to explore this comfortably.

Good luck! :)

JohnVH: It's not at all a total waste of time. I don't think it's any waste of time if it is in your heart to fly. Too many people get into flying (and a lot of other fields for that matter) for the money. They see nice 6-digit airline captain figures until the wakeup call. I highly encourage anyone that get's into flying, especially in this kind of economy, to do it because they love it, not for the money. If you love what you're doing, the money will come. Sometimes it will come even if you don't love what you're doing but you won't appreciate it near as much.

On the other hand... don't fly for "nothing" since that really hurts the industry as a whole.

Also, I highly encourage the "sharing" of a flight with someone who loves flying, wants to experience it for the first time, or needs to get over a fear of it. If done right, it can really change someone's outlook on life, fears, etc for the better.

To anyone who is starting out or who is like me in a sense that they have a had their license for a while but never had the support or time to pursue their life's dream... If it's what you want to do, then do it. Otherwise, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

Blue Skies, Cool Temps, and Tailwinds!

See ya'll on the airways...

Oh really? What makes you so sure of that? I have never meet a pilot in real life that has been laid off yet.

I decided to take a few minutes and try and think if I knew of an airline pilot who had never been laid off, and I came up with one. He's retired, and living in Florida.

Just wanted to give you a little perspective, since I've been talking to airline pilots for over forty years.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the honestness. I have not flown much, but have wanted to do it for a long time, and am finally able to go for it. I cant wait! Do you guys still not want to come down?

Thanks again.

I feel bad for that dudes child. No summer camp for him since daddy will only be making 25K at Airnet while trying to pay off a 80K debt. Assuming Airnet hires him.

Serious question, what happens if someone goes thru one of these schools and then, after getting all of their ratings, they file bankruptcy? I dont advocate this, but was curious because recently a 18yr old kid told me that this was his"plan". He also signed up for a pilot factory down South but had less than 10hrs flight time. His quote "All I want to do is fly"

Nice job

I gotta jump in and say this is one of the best threads I've seen here. You have people with a lot of experience trying to tell it like it is....not things the big time flight schools want you to know, though. I've considered myself very lucky to have been only furloughed once in my career and to have made it to a 121 airline only 7 years after I graduated from college.

Adam and XLR....you guys came hear looking to peek into your futures. No one can predict exactly what will happen to you in each of your career paths...you can only go by what each one of us has experienced so far in ours...every story is different. No one is trying to discourage you to be mean....they just want you to know how it is. My hope is as you go from being inexperienced wannabes to professional pilots, you'll gather some insights into the process and come back to give advice to others based on what you've learned.....I'll tell you right now, though, you don't know squat, so you'd be well served to pay attention to what these guys are saying.

In my opinion, these people are telling it like it is....sometimes the truth hurts....and sometimes you don't want to hear the truth....but no one here is trying to feed you a line of BS on purpose to discourage you.

More hot coals

Despite not flying for a living, wanted to chime in with yet another dose of reality. Was talking to a UAL Captain getting ready to retire in 2003. He was going over his potential retirement/pension stuff that he got in the mail this weekend. I say potential because it dealt with the bankruptcy stuff so it is a guess where it will actually end up. It wasn't pretty. Yes, he'll get by but it will be a humble retirement.
This guy was at Eastern when the bellied up and was "lucky" to get on with UAL five months after the strike at EAL. His pension fund from EAL was diluted due to the bankruptcy there.
I was reflecting my career since entering the working world 19 years ago. To date, haven't been subject to any bankruptcies or layoffs/furloughs. Still have approximately 20 years before I'm eligible for retirement so there is still time though! My jobs for the most part have been M-F, 8-5 gigs. Can't say I like what I'm doing. Would rather be directly involved in the aviation business. I am grateful I live in a country where we still have (for now) the freedom to fly and make enough green to afford to go smash bugs on the weekends.
I realize we all make choices. The life of a pilot seems to be a roller coaster. When things are going well they typically go real well but the business can be ruthless and unforgiving when they go bad. The two guys from Louisville who posted earlier shared some excellent thoughts. I have heard similar stories from my flying friends at UPS. Definitely have to learn how to manage money whether it be during prosperous or bad times.
May your decision(s) be based on reality and eyes wide open. Good luck!

Truck driving schools

nosewheel said:
I'm so tired of this flying bullsh#t industry I'm thinking of driving Truck. Any one know of a good truck drivin ground school? ;) :D
Here's a list of them. Always pleased to help. :)

UPS Capt, several posts above, wrote an excellent post about the realities of the business. At this point I'm sure I'm writing to the choir and so is he. Realities include the following: such things as annual and semi-annual checkrides, FAA (or, in Adam's case, maybe, Transport Canada) line checks, twice-yearly physicals by the FAA's industrial physician, and, last, but really first, an exhaustive interview that's tantamount to a large-corporation C.E.O. interview, preceded by a background check similar to litigation discovery. These all come with the territory. Not to mention the politics of the business. E.g., be slightly off in an interview response to the wrong interviewer during the interview for your dream job, and you are shown the door, with no possibility, ever, of reapplying. And, what happens if you lose your medical? There is still plenty you can do in aviation, but you won't be flying airplanes. The long and short of it is flying airplanes is a lot like many jobs; it is fun for its own sake, but the attendant BS obviates a great deal of the pleasure. However, I've learned in two other careers that there is BS in all jobs.

JohnVH, I would try, if I were you. You are young enough. Aviation may well work out for you, and, if so, excellent. If not, you will still be young enough to try another career. You will know that you at least tried.

And, Adam, I think you've misconstrued the intentions of people who've answered your posts. All people are trying to do is answer your questions honestly and directly, and based on their experiences. Once more, aviation isn't strictly about flying airplanes. It is a very tough business - just like a lot of other businesses - and you should be aware of what you're leaping into before you leap.

Oh, and finally, Adam, one of my former CFI students is a poster on this board. After finishing, he instructed, flew for a commuter for several years and made Captain, and got on with United. Unfortunately, he's been furloughed. Now, with United's bankruptcy, who can predict his future? I don't know the number of years that he will have recall rights. Also, let me recommend this book: Takeoff!!: The Story of America's First Woman Pilot for a Major Airline by Bonnie Tiburzi, ISBN: 0517552639. Not only was Capt. Tiburzi the first woman pilot hired by the majors, she suffered a 2½-year furlough and a downgrade from 727 FO to 727 FE. The book may be seventeen years old, but the message is contemporary.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back