• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You be the F/O (CFIT ?)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This one is too easy and has already been answered...

Max power, climb like a Muther F----- and argue about it at 30,000 ft.

Originally Posted by Vne
He's only the Captain until he tries to KILL YOU!

Too funny! But very true!

I actually had this happen.....or very similar, when on my first 3 day after IOE.

Going in ROA on a clear but very dark night, Captains leg, he accepts the visual to 06 instead of the LDA. He programs the FMS for the visual, 50 mile final leg.

I start to see shadowing of the city behind the mountain as we're descending (still above the VISUAL 3 degree glide path, so snowflake if low) and call it out, he says "but we're above the snowflake, we're still high". I say it again, more forcefully, and get the same response. "You need to climb now!" I said, while he still argues that we are high. Seconds later, we get both a low altitude alert call from the tower and a GPWS "Terrain" "Terrain".

I had enough, shouted my controls, firewalled, pitched, bitched, crapped myself, etc.. Once he was a believer, he took the controls back (or should I say I "let" him have the controls back) and landed safely. I had a nice talk with him on the ground and asked him if he had ever worked for Ham Stnd before he came to ASA.

Lesson learned.....when you program the FMS for a visual, it'll fly you on a nice 3 degree path straight through the mountain and out the other side to the runway.

14RF SUX

Don't need it to happen twice, do ya??

Cumulo Granite is nothing to be complacent about. Do what is necessary to save your life then talk about it later. Some new FOs are worried about upsetting the captain. If he gives you a hard time later, he can take you to the CP for not letting him ignore a GPWS warning. That's not gonna happen.

14RF Sux, we need more captains like you. When you gonna upgrade?

On every GPWS I've flown ""TERRAIN TERRAIN, PULL UP PULL UP" means everybody on the plane has 30 seconds left to live.

Do you really want to spend those seconds checking Navs or having a discussion with the Captain? He has already made his choice, yours couldn't be more clear.
There is a reason that airplanes have two people up front.

"There are a bunch of people in the back of that airplane counting on the two of you to keep them alive while getting them to their destination. Start yelling at the captain, if he doesn't do anything then respond more forcefully. I'm usually hesitant to grab the controls away from the captain, but in this instance I believe it's warranted."

Flyer,

Although well intentioned, that is absolutely the wrong answer. Anyone who is reading this thread who has any inclination to give the guy a chance to correct, explain or do anything that involves additional time needs to seriously rethink how to correctly handle this if (God forbid) it ever happens to you...Remember this scenario is hazy skies where terrain is not visible. All 121 FOM's will tell you if the terrain cannot be immediately and irrefutably identified as a non-threat, you do the escape manuever.

The right answer is if he doesn't immediately execute the prescribed GPWS escape manuever, YOU do it for him.

Last edited:
What company's manual says it's okay to ignore a GPWS warning with limited visibility? I think the purpose of the question is to determine if you have any value at all in the right seat.
It's not like that Captain wearing a dress question.

If he doesn't execute a go around/missed you bitch slap him and take those controls. I ain't dying because of some jerkoff who wants to check things out.

Saw that in the movie, "HIgh and the Mighty". The Duke's technique was Backhand, Forehand and take the controls. When in doubt about pilot technique follow the Duke.

In the interview you can not use words like "bitch slap." A better answer might be....

"In IMC, our Flight Operations manual does not leave this scenario up to interpretation. The book says clearly we will execute a specific recovery procedure which is to command spoilers in, max thrust, and climb until clear of the EGPWS alert. It is not a Captain / FO issue. It is a simple procedure requiring immediate action." Then I made a joke about the light coming on, monkey pulling lever and getting a banana. I'm all about getting the banana.

I've taken a few airplanes from the other crew members over the last 6,700 hours and if you are just following a procedure, there really isn't much room for anyone getting angry. In every case the response I recieved from the other seat was "thanks."

....and when I've screwed up, my response is the same, a genuine "thank you."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back