Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You asked for it, here it is.......................

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know Tejas nothing new there. It's all been hashed out before. However I bristle when pilots from AWA play nice on the seniority integration. AAA's stated position all along has been a big F-you to AWA pilots. They are basically trying to destroy the careers of the bottom half of AWA. Yet some AWA pilots still seem to think we can come up with a fair, reasonable proposal and the arbitrator will welcome it with open arms. I'm sure I sound callus here but I don't care what their worth is as a pilot or how much they donate to their local church, I just don't want to get stapled behind 4000 pilots who were looking at finding a new job before AWA came along.

I just don't want to get stapled behind 4000 pilots who were looking at finding a new job before AWA came along.

You won't be. The most likely scenario will be an integration where you retain the same relative position among active pilots in the new list that you hold now, with some fences thrown in.

There should be plenty of AAA retirements in the next few years so you will move up the list quicker than you would have with a younger AWA pilot group.

This is a list integration, in which both pilot groups are covered by ALPA's merger policy, anyone that tells you it ought to be DOH is as much a fool as anyone who says one group ought to get stapled behind another. Which, if you looked it up in the ALPA Administrative manual you would find that it states the following:

In joint session, the merger representatives should attempt to match equities to various methods of integration until a fair and equitable agreement is reached, keeping in mind the following goals, in no particular order:

a. Preserve jobs.

b. Avoid windfalls to either group at the expense of the other.

c. Maintain or improve pre‑merger pay and standard of living.

d. Maintain or improve pre‑merger pilot status.

e. Minimize detrimental changes to career expectations.

Good god man who do you work for?
America West Airlines

And what is this about "Why must a pilots worth be determined...blah blah blah.."

Which part don't you understand?

We are not determining a pilots worth here. We are merging two seniority lists. The ALPA merger policy does not mention being nice or taking into account a pilots worth.

I agree 100%. I wasn't addressing you or anybody else who understands the process.

If US Airways was down to 26 days cash with zero chance of financing then that would have a very strong effect on the "Career expectations" of AAA pilots.

This is where we diverge. Notice how your idea of "career expectations" differs from their idea? It's a subjective and self-serving opinion. I have no problem admitting that. The fact is I've had that stick thrown at me before by people who presumed to be able to predict the future. I wish to avoid doing to others that which was done to me.

The pre-merger status of furloughed pilots would be to never get recalled and they should consider it a windfall to someday have the opportunity to get called back to the bottom of LCC's list.

That's for Nicolau to determine.

This is where we diverge. Notice how your idea of "career expectations" differs from their idea? It's a subjective and self-serving opinion. I have no problem admitting that. The fact is I've had that stick thrown at me before by people who presumed to be able to predict the future. I wish to avoid doing to others that which was done to me.

I'm impressed. My guess is very, very few of us would take that position. Do unto others is easy when the stakes aren't very high. In this case careers could hang in the balance. A tip of my hat to you sir.

USAir was literally DAYS away from closing the doors in June of 1992 when British Airways came out of nowhere and invested in the company in exchange for codeshare and domestic feed.

Here they are 14 years later.

Perhaps USAir was days away from going tango-uniform when the group of investors chose to merge them with AWA... or perhaps not.
Career expectations are more complex than simply a snapshot of an airline on a specific day in its history.

Latest resources

Back