• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You are not going to believe this

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not sure exactly what you're questioning, but if it was the controller's phraseology, he/she was exactly correct. From the Controller's Handbook:

4-8-1. APPROACH CLEARANCE
a. Clear aircraft for "standard" or "special" instrument approach procedures only. To require an aircraft to execute a particular instrument approach procedure, specify in the approach clearance the name of the approach as published on the approach chart. Where more than one procedure is published on a single chart and a specific procedure is to be flown, amend the approach clearance to specify execution of the specific approach to be flown. If only one instrument approach of a particular type is published, the approach needs not be identified by the runway reference. An aircraft conducting an ILS/MLS approach when the glideslope/glidepath is reported out of service shall be advised at the time an approach clearance is issued. Standard Instrument Approach Procedures shall commence at an Initial Approach Fix or an Intermediate Approach Fix if there is not an Initial Approach Fix. Where adequate radar coverage exists, radar facilities may vector aircraft to the final approach course in accordance with para 5-9-1, Vectors to Final Approach Course.
PHRASEOLOGY-
CLEARED (type) APPROACH.

(For a straight-in-approach- IFR),

CLEARED STRAIGHT-IN (type) APPROACH.

(To authorize a pilot to execute his/her choice of instrument approach),

CLEARED APPROACH.

(Where more than one procedure is published on a single chart and a specific procedure is to be flown),

CLEARED (specific procedure to be flown) APPROACH.

(To authorize a pilot to execute an ILS/MLS approach when the glideslope/glidepath is out of service),

CLEARED (type) APPROACH, GLIDESLOPE/GLIDEPATH UNUSABLE.
EXAMPLE-
"Cleared Approach."
"Cleared V-O-R Approach."
"Cleared V-O-R Runway Three Six Approach."
"Cleared F-M-S Approach."
"Cleared F-M-S Runway Three Six Approach."
"Cleared I-L-S Approach."
"Cleared Localizer Back Course Runway One Three Approach."
"Cleared R-NAV Runway Two Two Approach."
"Cleared GPS Runway Two Approach."
"Cleared BRANCH ONE R-NAV Arrival and R-NAV Runway One Three Approach."
"Cleared I-L-S Runway Three Six Approach, glideslope unusable."

If you're questioning whether he should have cleared you with those wx conditions, that's the PIC's call, not the controller's. You tell me you want the approach, I'll make sure you have the weather and RVR, and then I'll clear you. I think perhaps the Air Force is different, (or used to be) but I've always been taught to let the pilot make the call. That doesn't mean FSDO won't question you about it after the fact though.....

Vector got it...figured he would.

this was a training question I recently came accross. I finally found it in the controller's handbook.

It sounds weird because it sounds like a precision approach clearance, but you are using non precision procedures.

The other reason they say "....glideslope unusable" is so that there is absolutely no confusion that you are not to use the slope for vertical guidance. I can't remember where or when it was, but I think that it steemed from a foreign airline in some country flying their airplane into a mountain becuase they "thought they were on the glideslope" when infact the glideslope had been notamed inop....

EB

Not enough info

Are you Part 91 or 135/121?

If 91 then you can shoot it zero/zero all day.

If for hire, then only the vis is controlling. Sorry, too lazy for reference, but it's not my opinion.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back