Yet Another Take on SWA Hiring for '04

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tkr-toad

I was on a SWA flight last week and went to the cockpit to chat. It was an ORD crew and I asked about hiring. The captain (an "older guy) said he just had his "PC" and his check pilot told him that the PD was asked if they could train 1000 per year and they responded, "No Way". They said 800 max. So, this captain was told between 500-800 new pilots next year. I don't know where he got the 500 from if mgt. was asking for 1000 but these numbers are more optimistic than the SWAPA numbers recently posted here. Who knows what to believe. Everyone has a different take although all agree there will be a resumption of hiring off the street. However, he also said he was told a sim profile was going to be added and that didn't sound accurate so take this with a grain of salt.

One possible explanation is that the SW training department can handle 800 training events each year which would include recurrent and PC's/PT's for existing crewmembers, leaving room for perhaps the 400 new-hires we've heard about.

MDW Rumours

Patience! Relax!
There will be a net increase (30 + or -) of new 700's coming on line next year = approximately 400 newbies NEEDED + or - less the 170 poolies + or - = a bunch of new hires + OR -.
LOOKS GOOD TO GO FROM MY PERSPECTIVE IF NOT IN `04 THEN `05.
;)

SWA training capability and projections

For what it's worth, this is straight from www.southwest.com (info on the training center). I guess if it went well over 500, they'd just contract out the sims somewhere....at least until they added some more?

Training: On an average day, the flight operations training center will have 80 to 120 pilots in the classrooms and simulators, and instructors will log about 100 hours per day with pilots training in the six simulators. Southwest's Flight Training Center is capable of training up to 500 new-hire pilots each year. The center will conduct proficiency check rides and recurrent training for a pilot population of more than 4100.

People Statistics: Currently, Southwest has 4117 pilots and projects that the pilot headcount will approach 10,000 by 2012 due to growth and attrition.

It's kind of hard to imagine hiring over 6000 pilots in the next 8 years, but I sure like their optimism. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back