Yet another JB vs CAL thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Patriot328

I know this horse has been beaten to death, but I'd like to hear some new opinions on this. My friend has been given a choice between CAL and JB in a few weeks. He's torn as to which one to go to. I work for CAL and told him that it's a pretty good place to be right now (lots of retirements, about as good of pay as you can find flying cattle, etc..) Of course 1st year pay blows, but he knows that.

What's it like at JB? Is it really all it's cracked up to be? Anything bad about it? How's the commute from the DC area (IAD most likely) to JFK or FLL? What would a person that's hired today be looking at for upgrades, bases, etc?

Patriot328 said:
I know this horse has been beaten to death, but I'd like to hear some new opinions on this. My friend has been given a choice between CAL and JB in a few weeks. He's torn as to which one to go to. I work for CAL and told him that it's a pretty good place to be right now (lots of retirements, about as good of pay as you can find flying cattle, etc..) Of course 1st year pay blows, but he knows that.

What's it like at JB? Is it really all it's cracked up to be? Anything bad about it? How's the commute from the DC area (IAD most likely) to JFK or FLL? What would a person that's hired today be looking at for upgrades, bases, etc?

As you said, it's been beaten to death.

Patriot328 said:

Here's my .02: (in no particular order)

Life is good at jb. Nothing is all that "it's cracked up to be." Major effort underway at efficiency improvements (to help cut costs). Probably things that needed to be implemented a while ago, but oh well. Haven't met a blue koolaid drinker yet, including the top two -- everyone knows we have to get better to succeed at this business.

Commute from DC: IAD to LGA is best bet, DCA to JFK is easier (but then you have to drive into the city). jb will reimburse you up to 40/month for your parking pass, meaning they pay for your parking! IAD to FLL is probably easy, because it is online. Not sure how many are going that way. IAD to BOS is happening as we speak, and a BOS base is a-coming.

Upgrade: Thinking 2.5-4 years. Lot can happen. Have to figure in the equipt lock.

Growth: Lots. Many aircraft orders and a large part of the country with no blue service.

Reserve: 2-3 months.

Uniforms: jb pays for your initial uniform allotment, then you get 200/year to maintain.

Training: Travel to/from is paid for, 2500/month in base, hotel included. Company issued laptop with wireless card. Lunches thrown in a couple of times for the hell of it. LOTS OF LETTUCE.

Airbus: The automation is a godsend. Lets you miss lots of radio calls due to crosswords, magazines, jai alai (it's also nice and roomy) etc.

Hope that helps your bud.

Bavarian Chef said:
Here's my .02: (in no particular order)

Life is good at jb. Nothing is all that "it's cracked up to be." Major effort underway at efficiency improvements (to help cut costs). Probably things that needed to be implemented a while ago, but oh well. Haven't met a blue koolaid drinker yet, including the top two -- everyone knows we have to get better to succeed at this business.

Commute from DC: IAD to LGA is best bet, DCA to JFK is easier (but then you have to drive into the city). jb will reimburse you up to 40/month for your parking pass, meaning they pay for your parking! IAD to FLL is probably easy, because it is online. Not sure how many are going that way. IAD to BOS is happening as we speak, and a BOS base is a-coming.

Upgrade: Thinking 2.5-4 years. Lot can happen. Have to figure in the equipt lock.

Growth: Lots. Many aircraft orders and a large part of the country with no blue service.

Reserve: 2-3 months.

Uniforms: jb pays for your initial uniform allotment, then you get 200/year to maintain.

Training: Travel to/from is paid for, 2500/month in base, hotel included. Company issued laptop with wireless card. Lunches thrown in a couple of times for the hell of it. LOTS OF LETTUCE.

Airbus: The automation is a godsend. Lets you miss lots of radio calls due to crosswords, magazines, jai alai (it's also nice and roomy) etc.

Hope that helps your bud.

Thanx Chef, I appreciate the perspective, especially about the commuting. There's a lot of what-ifs out there in the world (what if age 65 happens.. might slow down CAL's hiring.. and just because an airline has planes ordered doesn't mean they're going to keep coming on the original schedule, if at all). Whatever decision my friend makes, I guess he'll know if he chose the right one in about 22 years or so..

And I miss the Airbus. The 757 is nice to fly, but it can't compare to the comfort the Frenchies built into that A320.. :)

IMO, at today's current fuel prices and fare levels, consolidation of carriers is imminent. It is just going to happen. There is just way too much capacity. However, if oil drops to 26 bucks a barrel tomorrow I'll take that all back.

ultrarunner said:
IMO, at today's current fuel prices and fare levels, consolidation of carriers is imminent. It is just going to happen. There is just way too much capacity. However, if oil drops to 26 bucks a barrel tomorrow I'll take that all back.

The road(runner) is right -- tell your bud to go with the one that isn't gonna be consolidated ... imminently.

As for IAD. We should see JFK-IAD on the 190 in the next few months. Straight from the station managers mouth at IAD. To many request for NY service since FlyI went under. If that happens, then the IAD-JFK commute will be alive and well again.

The road(runner) is right -- tell your bud to go with the one that isn't gonna be consolidated ... imminently.

And which one is that? You must have found the crystal ball we have all been looking for.

CAL might be a better merger candidate than JB because of the market share but for that very same reason (market share) I think CAL has a better chance of survival. JB has a long way to go before they will have network like CAL, DAL, NWA, UAL, AA or USAir. That's why they are all still around even through bankruptcy. I think JB is a great airline and I think they have a better shot at surviving then many of the other startups over the years but if you use history as a guide then the odds are against them.

Just make a decision and don't look back. I think you will enjoy working for either airline.

Latest resources

Back