Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Yet another interesting article about DL/NWA, and others...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not sure what the actual cost of the DC-9 is to operate. I have been told since NWA owns them and has NO monthly payment on them that even though they burn a ton of gas it still can operate and make money. I do know that I would rather fly a DC-9 on NWA DC-9 payscale vs. flying a EMB-195 on that payscale. IF management could have there way they would like to get rid of all the DC-9 and replace them with whatever regional jet that holds 100 seats. If that happens we pilots then will be forced to fly a 100 seat plane for 35-40% less than flying a 100-125 seat DC-9. Compare the NWA DC-9 payscale with the Usairways or jet blue emb 195 payscale!!!!The DC-9 looks great now. Fuel cost is only one reason why management wants to get rid of them, its crew cost of paying someone to fly the DC-9 vs. a 100 seat regional jet is what they like. Getting rid of the DC-9 only helps mainline pilots if they are replaced with a larger aircraft 737, A320 757 etc, If a NWA DAL merger where to happen and all the DC-9 got parked ASAP there would be really junior NWA and DAL pilots flying the new replacement 100 seat jet at 35-40% less pay all wishing the DC-9 was still around !!!

Last edited:
That highlighted part is important. We need to know what the plans would be with those DC9s before we ever merged, and if we have to use arbitration it would be nice for the arbitrator to know that the DC9s could go away. Otherwise, let's just have 2 seperate contracts, and our pilots will stay with our planes, etc. Sounds fair to me. If their planes are going away, our pilots should not be affected.

Bye Bye--General Lee

By that rational, if NWA pilots are taking the penalty for aircraft that are leaving(DC-9s)then they should also be credited with the aircraft that are arriving(B787s). In other words, when the B787s arrive, your pilots at Delta shouldn't be affected.[/quote]

When will that be anyway??? We are getting 6 (count them again-6) new 777LRs in 3 months time (Dec 31st--March31st)---which have the same range but carry more PAX and Cargo than a 787, a plane that has STILL YET to fly. And, Anderson just made a pact with Boeing for more of them. When your DC9s go away (and they will go away before our MD88s), and your 742s go away (and they will go away before our 767s), then we can talk---right?

Bye Bye--General Lee

You have less planes than Delta, but spend more money on MX----that is a fact.
More fun facts from the 2007 10-k's:

Operating Expense: Aircraft maintenance, materials and outside repairs:

DAL: $983 Million (7% increase over 2006)
NWA:$811 Million (1.9% increase over 2006)

Just the Facts Ma'am

I am not sure what the actual cost of the DC-9 is to operate. I have been told since NWA owns them and has NO monthly payment on them that even though they burn a ton of gas it still can operate and make money. I do know that I would rather fly a DC-9 on NWA DC-9 payscale vs. flying a EMB-195 on that payscale. IF management could have there way they would like to get rid of all the DC-9 and replace them with whatever regional jet that holds 100 seats. If that happens we pilots then will be forced to fly a 100 seat plane for 35-40% less than flying a 100-125 seat DC-9. Compare the NWA DC-9 payscale with the Usairways or jet blue emb 195 payscale!!!!The DC-9 looks great now. Fuel cost is only one reason why management wants to get rid of them, its crew cost of paying someone to fly the DC-9 vs. a 100 seat regional jet is what they like. Getting rid of the DC-9 only helps mainline pilots if they are replaced with a larger aircraft 737, A320 757 etc, If a NWA DAL merger where to happen and all the DC-9 got parked ASAP there would be really junior NWA and DAL pilots flying the new replacement 100 seat jet at 35-40% less pay all wishing the DC-9 was still around !!!

Many of us (not me) would probably love to fly the DC9. Great. What if Management still wants to dump them (and maybe also not get as many E175s)? What can we do when management keeps telling the press or analysts that there could be extra parkings of NWA airplanes? Also, should the Delta pilots be pegged to be furloughed (after SLI) when only older NWA planes leave the combined fleet? I would think that it would be nice to know what the immediate fleet plan is BEFORE we merge, and if that means one group loses some more pilots (since they are the ones losing the planes), then sobeit. It's all about what YOU BRING TO THE TABLE.

Bye Bye--General Lee

More fun facts from the 2007 10-k's:

Operating Expense: Aircraft maintenance, materials and outside repairs:

DAL: $983 Million (7% increase over 2006)
NWA:$811 Million (1.9% increase over 2006)

Just the Facts Ma'am

Wait, those aren't the costs FDJ2 brought up. He stated that NWA paid a lot more, even though you have less planes. Let me look that up again.....

And we have 100 more airplanes than you do regardless.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wait, those aren't the costs FDJ2 brought up. He stated that NWA paid a lot more, even though you have less planes. Let me look that up again.....

And we have 100 more airplanes than you do regardless.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Look....a pissing contest is a waste of time when 4 airlines have gone TU in what, a week? I'm not making this stuff up....it's in the 10-K SEC filings. I'm sure FDJ2 is more credible than a CBS marketwatch internet reporter, but I'll still go by the SEC numbers, that our CFOs signed ,over his.

I would think that it would be nice to know what the immediate fleet plan is BEFORE we merge, and if that means one group loses some more pilots (since they are the ones losing the planes), then sobeit. It's all about what YOU BRING TO THE TABLE.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I agree it is what you bring to the table. Delta can't trump NWA in the flying museum department but Delta also has a bunch of jets that will need to be replaced as well within the next ten years if not sooner. Bottom line, I think we could beat each up of who has orders for what and who does not but at the end of day the two airlines are a pretty decent fit and could provide some long term security for both pilot groups.

Also, should the Delta pilots be pegged to be furloughed (after SLI) when only older NWA planes leave the combined fleet? I would think that it would be nice to know what the immediate fleet plan is BEFORE we merge, and if that means one group loses some more pilots (since they are the ones losing the planes), then sobeit.
Valid point in theory, BUT...how do we factor in the fact that it would be DAL scope that allowed the parking while not shrinking the airline? We announced this week that we are parking an additional 10 DC-9's. This will result in a loss of 30 DC-9 CA positions, but we are adding 10 CA positions each to the 757 and 320 at the same time, for a net loss of 10 CA positions.

...and you, General, might even like Amsterdam.

We have trips to AMS, although we stay near the Hague (DEN HAAG). Kinda boring in that area, although I did take a tour of the Van Gogh museum and Anne Franke's house in AMS. Yes, I also strolled through the red light district. Amazing.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back