Yawning after flight=severe dizziness

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ikillbigfoot

I'm wondering if I'm alone. I've been flying for 10 years and the last few (I'm 25) years, after descent or landing I'll yawn just because. Usually my ears might pop/equalize, and when this happens I instantly get very very dizzy and feel wierd pain and senses into my equilibrium and brain area for about 5 seconds. Does this happen to anyone else?

What to do? You don't want to tell an AME this one.

I would just go to an Ear, Nose and Throat guy and describe it to him. You might just have a little infection or somthing going on with the bone structure in your ear. Either way it aint right

Bigfoot, does it happen while sitting down or after you stand up? Sometimes regardless if I've been flying or not, when I stand up and stretch too quickly after sitting or lying down for an extended amount of time, I get lightheaded or dizzy for a second. If I had to guess thats normal though since there is probably just a lack of blood flow to the head?

I concur with the above suggestions to go to a doc.

Last edited:
Bigfoot, does it happen while sitting down or after you stand up? Sometimes regardless if I've been flying or not, when I stand up and stretch too quickly after sitting or lying down for an extended amount of time, I get lightheaded or dizzy for a second. If I had to guess thats normal though since there is probably just a lack of blood flow to the head?

Get lightheaded after standing up is normally a hormone problem related to your adrenal glands. (low cortisol) Do you handle stress very well?
Are you sensitive to light?

It very rarely happens. In fact I can't recall the last time it happened.

I have little or no stress and tend to think I handle it well whenever it does come along. Not sensitive to light at all. I think my body depends on a certain amount of natural light:cool: (sunlight that is...ok well maybe the brew too:beer:)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back