• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT FA jumpseat now available to offline pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Few days ago I tried to get home using XJT. The way the loads looked it was going to come down to being able to sit in the 2nd F/A jumpseat. It was
UAX flight and the capt wasn't sure if UA allowed the 2nd F/A jumpseat to be used so he made some calls. The current UAX policy is that no one can sit in the 2nd F/A jumpseat, but they are currently working with United to get the seat available and hope to get it done soon.

COEX=any off line pilot can sit in the aft FA JS
UAX=nobody can sit in the aft FA JS

If you are trying it on COEX and the CA doesnt know you can(i.e. isnt a commuter), its in the FOM now if I am not mistaken(dont have mine at home with me).

Kind of obvious, but the two required flight attendants is also in reference to when the first one is doing IOE.

Thanks XJET this is great for everyone! Hopefully others will follow.

Wouldn't they also need an extra one if the charter is scheduled to go longer than 14 hours?

Couldn't tell you, doubt it though. Why the cutoff at 14? I'm not familiar with the FA's contract.

Kind of obvious, but the two required flight attendants is also in reference to when the first one is doing IOE.

Usually 1A is blocked off for the FA giving IOE. It would be kinda hard to fully observe from the rear seat during certain phases of flight.

If you are trying it on COEX and the CA doesnt know you can(i.e. isnt a commuter), its in the FOM now if I am not mistaken(dont have mine at home with me).

The guy knew that I could sit in it if it was COEX but he wasn't sure about UAX. Instead of just saying no he actually went out of his way to make a few phone calls to find out a definite answer. The answer he got sounded like the guys at XJT are working with UAL to find a way to get this started on the UAX side as well. Hopefully it happens...I'm IAD based and it would be nice to have an "extra" seat that can help get me home.

OK thanks, I'll remember that next time. In my case the gate agent said no, the captain didn't know so he called the chief pilot and he said no. But the Continental guy on the cockpit seat agreed to switch with me to get me home.

Nothing to do with a contract. You may want to brush up on F/A duty times before he/she gets you violated.

Since all the charters I've done never got close to 14 hours, it's not something I need to worry about.

Find somebody else to lecture.

Latest resources

Back