XJ to Skywest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Aero44

Currently how long is the upgrade at Skywest? How much pay during training? Thinking about jumping XJ for Skywest. All constructive and smart a$$ replies are welcome.

Aero, if you're an FO with less than... maybe 2 years invested, and I mean INVESTED at Mesaba, I'd say bail if you can. Immediately. My problem is that I've been here too long, I'm too old and I just can't bail out until I get my furlough notice. Oh yeah. Sorry, I don't know a thing about Skywest.

MM

I wouldn't base my decision on current upgrade time......that can change at the drop of a hat.
I think right now it is less than 2 years though (I don't work there)

Pay during training at SKYW is 19.02/hour with a 65 hour monthly guarantee while in ground school. Upgrade is anybody's guess. It all depends on aircraft deliveries, attrition, and retirements. 2-4 years is probably a good guess but it could be less or more. Way too many variables.

You need to look at domiciles and talk to some SKYW folks to get an idea of how junior or senior your prefererred domicile is. If you like ORD you'll upgrade a lot faster than you would on the west coast. Right now an EMB CA can't hold PDX with over 5 years of seniority but would be nearly halfway up the list in DEN as an RJ CA if he were to transition.

why would i do that? I think Skywest is a good company. If i wasnt at XJET i would have tried to get over to skywest. I know a few people over there and they like it. I am actually jealous i would love to have some of the base choices skywest has. I might move up to Colorado and just commute.

Dave Benjamin said:
Pay during training at SKYW is 19.02/hour with a 65 hour monthly guarantee while in ground school.

Pay during ground school is now zero dollars and zero cents. Look at the website.

idoitupsidedown said:
Pay during ground school is now zero dollars and zero cents. Look at the website.

cut and pasted from the website I checked two minutes ago...

"Pay in training will consist of a guarantee of 60 hours per month. Once you begin IOE you will move to a 75 hour guarantee per month. Lodging will continue to be provided based on double occupancy, however concessions may be made for your own room with half the expense being your responsibility.

Starting pay is $19.02 per flight hour regardless of aircraft flown. Perdiem is currently at $1.60 per hour"

I made that very leap six years ago. I left XJ for OO and never looked back. Doing that afforded me some opportunities that I wouldn't have had, had I stayed with Mesaba. It also greatly improved my QOL, as I no longer had to commute from LAX to DTW while on reserve with two days off a week. Six months ago, I left OO for WN and I'll never look back. I've been very lucky.

In today's climate, however, things might be a bit different. Weigh all the pros and cons carefully and make your decision. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back