• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MESA -> out
9E <-> colgan <-> bigsky
mesaba <-> comair
skywest <-> asa

25% capacity reduction due to soft demand covers the lack of pilots at these airlines.

Question for Occam's Razor,

How does the NWA contract look with respect to wage recovery/snapbacks in the coming years?

Question for Occam's Razor,

How does the NWA contract look with respect to wage recovery/snapbacks in the coming years?

As long as the virus is on the hard drive...not too bad.

We didn't touch staffing (24.B.2/3) nor the Advanced Position Award (APA)system. That means Crew Planning tell each pilot exactly where they will be 4-months in advance...while the Marketing Dept tells Crew Planning the staffing needs 35-days in advance.

Our management has NEVER figured out how to do it correctly. To handle screw-ups (such as the one we're in right now due to the late start and low rate of recalls) management will have to come to us for help. It will cost them. The price we extract will be a measure of our contract repair.

Historically, the largest gains we've gotten have come from leverage gained when management needed our cooperation. Time-and-a-half pay was gained when they screwed up staffing in '95 and '96....mid-term of that contract. The 10.25% pay increase was in '03, while other airlines were going bankrupt or taking large cuts. We got the raise because management needed "Labor peace" in order to refinance the Revolver. We got the 4 CAL Scope LOA's when management wanted to grab control of CAL.

Things will continue to happen in the industry. Our management, including YPF, will continue to screw it up. Luckily, both of those are certain.

The only variable will be how unified and focused our pilot group will be at the time. It takes emotionless focus to seize opportunities when they pop up.

It's much cheaper to get time concessions for extra pay rather than hire someone new. Of course you could just give it to us like the southwest pilots.

It's much cheaper to get time concessions for extra pay rather than hire someone new. Of course you could just give it to us like the southwest pilots.
The NWA pilots are going to "give" it to you, alright...

Just like you gave it to them: hard, deep, and without the common courtesy of lube or a reach-around.

Why would they treat YOU like Southwest pilots treat their management when YOU, as NWA management don't treat the pilots like SWA management treats theirs?

You don't get one without the other. Start treating your employees like real people and not disposable liabilities and you might actually have an employee who gives a rat fu*k whether you can staff or not.

25% capacity reduction due to soft demand covers the lack of pilots at these airlines.
No, it doesn't.

You're only getting a capacity reduction at PCL because of the whipsaw you deliberately set up (and don't deny you know you were going to yank those RJ's in advance if they didn't sign for concessions).

NOW PCL is adequately staffed... for the first time in the last 3 years. That will fix itself, however, as they continue to lose all their CA's to LCC's, the Majors, and NJA.

About this time next year PCL will be in the same boat they were in last month: unable to staff their operation because of lack of qualified pilots.

It's going to stay that way until the majors stop hiring, then another year while the staffing stabilizes, and it's going to happen at every regional.

You need to get your head out of your cubicle and ask some people that actually know a little bit about regional airline staffing problems in the current market.

Or you could just go to the AIR, Inc career fair in ATL next weekend and watch the recruiters for all the regionals practically BEG for pilots, offer $2,000 to $5,000+ signing bonuses, and still have NO ONE lined up at their tables.

Come over to the AirTran training center and say Hi. I'll be working the tours Saturday night.

No..I'm asserting that YOU don't know what you're talking about!

YOU told us that a Single Carrier Status petition meant NWA pilots were merely asking for Mesaba and Compass pilots to be represented by ALPA. I pointed out that YOU were wrong.

So tell me, was Woerth knowingly misleading our attorney under oath or is he just ignorant?

Haber: Is it in fact management that defines when the merger takes place?
Woerth: Managements usually announce mergers, yes.
Haber: I mean in circumstances where it is where one is talking about operational integration and other indicia of that sort, but where there is not a formal legal merger?
Woerth: If there is a merger it is usually a management-announced merger and their plan to integrate is known to the public and to us and that is how mergers occur.
Haber: But ALPA merger policy is defined for something that is less formalistic?
Woerth: No, it is to recognize when it is a rumor of a merger and an actual merger, to distinguish the rumors of a merger and the likelihood of a real merger taking place.
Haber: So, then why would ALPA seek in some instances single carrier determinations from the National Mediation Board despite management's objection?
Woerth: Single carrier representation has nothing to do with mergers. It has that to with representational status of the unions.
Haber: But single representation would be another way of getting what you advocated; right?
Woerth: They are not related at all.
Haber: Why not?
Woerth: Because it just has to do with who is the collective bargaining representative in a single carrier case; teamsters, ALPA, independent. A single carrier just describes who is going to be the bargaining representative.
Haber: At Mesa, for example, ALPA represented all carriers involved, so what was the rationale for seeking National Mediation Board single carrier determination?
MR. MIGLIORE: Object to the form of the question; assumes facts that are not in evidence.
THE WITNESS: I don't know why we sought single carrier determination.

http://www.rjdefense.com/2006/woerth_xscript.pdf

Last edited:
So tell me, was Woerth knowingly misleading our attorney under oath or is he just ignorant?

Dunno. You posted a half-page of an extensive deposition. Was the statement later corrected, modified, or addressed in follow-up statements?

If your Labor-savvy lawyer (snicker) knew what he was talking about, he wouldn't need to ask the question, would he?

Comments made by the former President of ALPA prior to the judge dismissing 90% of your stupid claims doesn't change the fact that the NWA MEC doesn't need to file anything to have Mesaba represented by ALPA. That's your assertion...and it's wrong. You know it, and I know it.

Occam,

Can you post any link to your information on "single carrier" with the NMB? Everything I have seen from ALPA and the NMB states that "single carrier" only deals with the "who represents" part of the equation. Can you site any examples of single carrier petitions between groups who were represented by the same union?

from inside XJ

No one on the inside other than the MEC (and they're not talking much lately) knows anything at XJ.

But I know this - ALPA has represented Mesaba since the early to mid 90's (before me). The NWA pilot group in their contract set representation (ALPA) and pay rates for Compass as part of the agreement they eventually voted in. NO pilot at Compass got a chance or choice in representation. So if whatever your talking about concerns who represents the pilots, your wasting your time. ALPA is the answer.

The REAL issue and I am probably wrong is the combining of the seniority lists of the three companies. How, when, where I have no idea. I am not even sure why. But I think it will most likely benefit mainline more than XJ pilots. Time will tell. I was just happy to go the last year and half employed.

Also, I would like to say that growth for us at the cost of Pinnacle isn't what ANYBODY wanted at Mesaba. No one at XJ feels entitled to those planes or flying. As a side note, I am coming up on 4 years with the company. Even with 36 crj705's, 17 crj200's, and 49 SAAB I still can't see an upgrade before 2 more years, unless we get more of something.

Our contract which I did vote for is way better than what is portrayed on flightinfo. Granted some of the hourly rates are a little less than some companies, but our work rules more than make up for the paycut. A number of XJ pilots who went to other airlines say that our rules are better than there mainline companies (Continental).

I don't find myself thinking that mainline was obliged to give us more flying and I don't think we are anymore entitled to the flying than anyone else. I wish the mainline pilots would learn more about the XJ situation because most cockpits I road in seemed to have no idea the criminal situation going on at XJ. More than once I was told I had to give up my share like the mainline guys did. Well after all the math I was going to lose about half of my 26k. I spent a lot of jumpseat time trying to explain I can't live on 12000 a year.

Anyway this thread was irrating me and I thought I would share what is actually being said at XJ -nothing.

As a side note, I am coming up on 4 years with the company. Even with 36 crj705's, 17 crj200's, and 49 SAAB I still can't see an upgrade before 2 more years, unless we get more of something.

Really? 2 more years? wow this kind of contradicts other things I'm reading. Can you elaborate for me (I'm thinking of Mesaba), thanks.

Latest resources

Back