XJ CRJ900 street capt - kind of!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's the story:

I was furloughed by XJ, went to another carrier, was on the CRJ, when I realized that XJ was hiring (I don't frequent this board). I contacted Mesaba HR and was told that I had received and declined a recall - NOT TRUE! I had changed address during my furlough and had forwarded my new address to Mesaba. Around this time they say I was contacted, but nobody called me (my phone # remained the same and I didn't see any email notification). I called ALPA national and told them - they felt that the manner of notification was not sufficient and would follow up with Mesaba.
That was several weeks ago. Today I got a call offering me my choice of captain class - I have CRJ time now, so I took the 900, which they said they'd give me a firm class date later this week.

Anyway, if there are any XJ furloughees out there, you can appeal to ALPA and get your old seniority slot back, followed by whatever you can hold. Not exactly a street captain position, but HR seemed to think that there were more of us out there. The inadequate notification process and subsequent hiring binge is pure red tail SOP.

Guess the 900 won't be going as junior as everyone thought. BTW, all you guys hired after the recall will be sliding backwards by atleast 1 number, maybe more.....
WTG!
Stay till 65, that will show them!
PBR

Rossa:

Mesaba management are real pros at exploiting every dropped comma and minor clause in the contract to their absolute advantage. They also have recently stepped up their efforts to just plain outright violate the contract. I have no problem whatsoever with pilots who use the contract to their own advantage. That's just the atmosphere that Mesaba mgt. have created for us.

But why are you thumbing your nose at your own pilot group? You show some animosity towards the senior most pilots, but what do they care about one more or less 900 CA below them? What you are doing will never even be noticed by the senior guys.

The pilots you seem to be lording over are the 2007 hires, who had nothing whatsoever to do with the BK and subsequent furloughs. Those are the only pilots you are currently senior to, except for some of the other furloughees. What could you possibly have against the other furloughees? They were in the exact same boat which you were in. What do you have against them?

As far as the pilots senior to you, many of them were furloughed at some previous time. Do you think they somehow orchestrated your personal furlough to their advantages?

As far as the old "ha ha, I got 900 CA" theme goes, do you think that this somehow has hurt Mesaba mgt? They need pilots! I'm sure they are happy to have one more 900CA lined up. It's going junior anyway. Currently it's going to people, such as yourself, who were recently recalled from furlough.
You were furloughed too, and now you're back, and you got to skip a few extra months as a senior FO. What exactly have you accomplished which is any different from what all the other mid-to-lower-seniority 2004-2005 hire FO's have accomplished? We all rode the rapids out, and we're all CA's now.

In summary:

What's your point?

Rossa:

Mesaba management are real pros at exploiting every dropped comma and minor clause in the contract to their absolute advantage. They also have recently stepped up their efforts to just plain outright violate the contract. I have no problem whatsoever with pilots who use the contract to their own advantage. That's just the atmosphere that Mesaba mgt. have created for us.

But why are you thumbing your nose at your own pilot group? You show some animosity towards the senior most pilots, but what do they care about one more or less 900 CA below them? What you are doing will never even be noticed by the senior guys.

The pilots you seem to be lording over are the 2007 hires, who had nothing whatsoever to do with the BK and subsequent furloughs. Those are the only pilots you are currently senior to, except for some of the other furloughees. What could you possibly have against the other furloughees? They were in the exact same boat which you were in. What do you have against them?

As far as the pilots senior to you, many of them were furloughed at some previous time. Do you think they somehow orchestrated your personal furlough to their advantages?

As far as the old "ha ha, I got 900 CA" theme goes, do you think that this somehow has hurt Mesaba mgt? They need pilots! I'm sure they are happy to have one more 900CA lined up. It's going junior anyway. Currently it's going to people, such as yourself, who were recently recalled from furlough.
You were furloughed too, and now you're back, and you got to skip a few extra months as a senior FO. What exactly have you accomplished which is any different from what all the other mid-to-lower-seniority 2004-2005 hire FO's have accomplished? We all rode the rapids out, and we're all CA's now.

In summary:

What's your point?

I apologize for my previous tone. After I was "used" by, what I felt, was both sides in a bankruptcy case - one used myself and others as a scare to the others on property, the other side used us as a cushion to protect those that were senior (atleast it felt that way), I got pretty disillusioned with management and ALPA. I went to ASA just in time to see us get screwed by SkyWest management, among others. All, I and others want is to get our time in the left seat and get out. I have CRJ time, you have CRJs.

ALPA needs to abandon its' archaic seniority list nonsense - it works against, not for pilots, but as long as that's the way it's done, I'll just have to work within the system.

I didn't start this thread with the intent of thumbing my nose at others, but chose my words poorly - sorry.

What I would consider, whether yur on property there or not:

What's this going to do to my seat lock?
What's going to happen to the disbursement of bankruptcy funds, which pilots received into their 401Ks?
How is your fast upgrade into the SAAB going to be affected by this?

These are all salient points, to be considered by all the Mesaba folks.

BTW, I have received a considerable number of PMs regarding this thread. It's obvious that this thing is going to gather momentum, as the recall was completely botched by both sides - no amount of denying that will change what's coming.

Good luck to all!

Got a voicemail from mesaba HR today, said they were contacting everyone on the furlough list and wanted an updated address.

Not sure about returning the call. What do you guys think?

The Bankruptcy funds have already been paid out. Don't hold your breath for any creditor claim $$. The only money that remains to be paid out is for those who felt the need to hold out for the extra $0.03 on the dollar. All but a handful sold their claim to Goldman Sachs.

What I would consider, whether yur on property there or not:

What's this going to do to my seat lock?
What's going to happen to the disbursement of bankruptcy funds, which pilots received into their 401Ks?
How is your fast upgrade into the SAAB going to be affected by this?

These are all salient points, to be considered by all the Mesaba folks

I think something for you to think about is the fact its not really hard to find out who you are, one quick look at the seniority list will narrow it down. As for seat lock, your right it might change, and now those 7 year FO's who took saab capt, are now going to take jet capt, and gosh darn, they might slide you back down... I hope more than one number.
The bankruptcy claim.... :) I think, and I could be wrong, but I think you're going to find your piece of the pie is gone. So while your now "paying your bills" and getting your time on reserve, it'll give you the chance to pay your dues.
BTW, I too was a furloughed recall, and I remember thinking how Mesaba seemed to always hire quality people, you seem to be that rare 1 percenter.
Of course, if your here to just stir the pot, good job!

Last edited:
The Bankruptcy funds have already been paid out. Don't hold your breath for any creditor claim $$. The only money that remains to be paid out is for those who felt the need to hold out for the extra $0.03 on the dollar. All but a handful sold their claim to Goldman Sachs.

That's not entirely true. The furloughed pilots who accepted recall were not allowed to sell our claims. We did not "hold out for the extra $0.03". We did not have the choice. We are all still owed about a third of our claims, which amounts to a few thousand dollars each.

Latest resources

Back