X Meigs Field Closed X

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Suggestion

Contact the Mayor and tell him what you think.

Office of the Mayor:
Address: Office of the Mayor
121 N. LaSalle, Room 507
Chicago, IL 60602

Facsimile: 312-744-8045
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/home.do

I suggest telling the Mayor that you will no longer spend your tourist dollars in his city based on his decision. Hopefully some lawyers with extra cash will start slapping some lawsuits on him.

Tell him you will purposely try to avoid flying through any airport in Chicago. Thus preventing his city from benefitting from any aviation related revenue.

I am sure there are lots of other ways to make an impact. Whether you carry them out is another matter. The threat may be good enough.

At least Microsoft Flight Simulator still starts you off at Meigs Field

Da Mayer

Just like daddy in 1967 - he thinks he is the be all and end all in Chicago. Can do anything he wants anywhere he wants and if ya don't like it---h*ll wit cha...

Quite glad I moved out of the area 10 years ago (unlike fly chicaga, I lived in Chicago Ridge and worked in da city)---maybe the good citizens will get rid of King Richard next time they go to the polls (of course my vote will be cast in the Ridge for the current democrat there, I guess...).

I am so mad right now I don't know what to say.

I can relate this story though:
A charter flight in a King Air 200 departed the airport where I am employed as a CFI only to find out from Chicago Center (they filed, talked to clearance delivery, ground, tower and departure before being notified of this...clearly even the FAA didn't even know about this) that they were cleared to Chicago Heights but not to Meigs because it was being bulldozed. The stunned silence of the crew said it all...they were probably asking their pax where they wanted to go now?

What about the people employed at Meigs and those with aircraft there? Did the employees show up to work today only to be told they were now unemployed??!!?

F*CK YOU DALEY! Chicago has lost it's last unique claim to fame and it's all his fault. Can a mayor be impeached?

Latest ATCSCC Advisory

The latest ATCSCC advisory lists it as "runway construction", FWIW:

ATCSCC Advisory
ATCSCC ADVZY 021 CGX/ZAU 03/31/2003 AIRPORT CLOSURE UPDATE
REMARKS: CGX IS CLOSED, RWY CONSTRUCTION IN PROGRESS. CURRENTLY,
THERE IS NO ESTIMATE ON WHEN CGX WILL REOPEN. SUGGEST USERS CHECK
NOTAMS FOR FURTHER INFORMATION AND UPDATES.

EFFECTIVE TIME:
311405 - 312359
SIGNATURE:
03/03/31 14:02

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
The head of the Senate Aviation Subcomittee is Trent Lott.

U.S. Senate switchboard is (202) 224-3121. You can ask for Senator Lott's office. AOPA is having a real meltdown over this, as thousands of pilots are callling.

You can make some calls, too.

I never got to fly into Meigs. Would have been fun, but...

Unfortunately, he'll be hailed for this action. When the peeps get their new parks, amphitheaters, fishing piers, bird sanctuaries, etc., he'll be a hero.

The numbers are easy to see. 500,000 more votes from the happy masses versus 10,000 uphappy pilots (on a good day). It's a no brainer to a non-GA pilot.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back