WX with ACARS datalink

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bleeds On

Anyone have experience with this through ARINC? Opinions or suggestions? On a PL21 system.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with this through ARINC? Opinions or suggestions? On a PL21 system.

we have it, not with a PL21 though. basically text weather. i think weather charts are available on newer avionics.

As we took delivery of our Hawker, we had it removed and XM put in. With the system you mentioned, there is a fee every time you download. With the XM, we pay a flat monthly fee. The only draw back to XM is that it is currently limited to US only. Not a factor for us.

If you are going to be outside the U.S. on a regular basis, the ACARS/ARINC is nice to have. I have only used it on a PL21 system. It is helpful to get your ATIS and weather when the XM is unavailable. You can also use it to email with your dispatch/scheduler/home office/handler. Great for giving updates.

If you are going to be outside the U.S. on a regular basis, the ACARS/ARINC is nice to have. I have only used it on a PL21 system. It is helpful to get your ATIS and weather when the XM is unavailable. You can also use it to email with your dispatch/scheduler/home office/handler. Great for giving updates.
Agreed. We are on an unlimited plan with ARINC, so no limit on the messages we send/receive or wx request.

Thanks. We'll leave the country only once in a while so it looks like ARINC won't make sense for us, especially considering the cost. We don't have an XM unit built in but I think I'll get a Garmin 696 to throw up front. $2k for the unit + XM. Not bad, I just hate extra crap in the cockpit.

Latest resources

Back