WTF is wrong with the E170's 175's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrickTop

I have ridden numerous times in first class and constantly hear the most bizzare airframe and aerodynamic groaning and vibrating that honestly makes myself, passengers and some crews quite nervous. I have talked to several crews, mechanics and none seem to be able to narrow the culprit. It is NOT the door seals that have been previously labeled as the source. This vibration is in the lower fuselage area just ahead of the wing root. Much like wheel well turbulence from missing brushes. It sounds a lot like flying around with the gear down or spoilers deployed. Recently rode in a SHUTTLE America plane, N634RP and it was the worst I have heard yet. Previous crews reported it was extremely loud at cruise and of course MX found no cause. Has Embrear been made aware of, or sent out any information to operators about this problem. By far the most bizarre sound I have heard in an airplane in 10 years of flying.

Hi!

I have jumpseated several times in Compass' E-175s?, both in the cockpit and in the back.

I have not noticed anything unusual, except that it does not seem like an RJ, from a passenger's perspective.

cliff
NBO

There is a rubber seal around the main cabin door that tends to get a little worn. When it does, it can make some of the most god-awful buzzing sounds at certain speeds and or cabin pressures. A heavier duty seal is installed once an airplane goes in for a heavy inspection.

OK. I get an F for reading comprehension. I ASSummed this was another door seal question. I haven't heard of any other weird noises in the back.:blush:

Great the Mesa guy is crying about a noise in an RJ...do you ever pay attention to your own airplanes?

If you don't like the funny noise...don't ride on it.

You are correct.

I would rather fly Boeing, but this is what I am stuck with!

The vibration noise is generally coming from those worn rubber seals (not part of the pressurization seal). And it can sound like it originates in a lot of different places...it has an uncanny ability to project noise.

That said, there are a number of access panels located in the forward part of the wing fairing. Simple latches hold them closed, and there are generally two to three latches per panel. The latches are spring loaded, and over time, some of those springs lose their tension. The result is a latch that seems to be pooped after every flight. Normally this won't cause a vibration, since the other latch is working, and the hinge is placed in a way that airflow will not try to open the panel or unseat it. However, I have noticed two panels on the underside of the fairing that seem to twist in the wind if one latch comes open, which unseats the panel and allows airflow to vibrate it.

Another culprit could be the piece of metal trim that protects the lower edge of the forward cargo bin door. It is there to take the brunt of ramper abuse, and it certain gets beat by bags and belt loaders. I have had two planes where this metal piece has been bent and pulled away from the fuselage by some misguided bag, and of course no ramper noticed or reported the damage to us. The result is a nice vibration at speed, depending on where the damage was.

Finally, I am surprised by the vibrations that can be heard and felt that are coming from the fan section of the engines. Our scale measures from 0.0 to 5.0 units, with 4.0 and below acceptable. I don't know what these numbers correlate to, but a 1.1 most days is silent and smooth, but occasionally that same 1.1 value will really howl. Of course, I am sure the vibration would have gone away when a significant power change came.

Was the vibration continuous though the flight, or were there extended periods where the vibration was absent? The E-jet is still a new plane, and certain wear items are new to us all. These reports actually help us notice and find the issues. We are all learning as we go along with this plane. And yes, it certainly is no Boeing.

I have ridden numerous times in first class and constantly hear the most bizzare airframe and aerodynamic groaning and vibrating that honestly makes myself, passengers and some crews quite nervous.

I want to know why they couldn't have installed some better padding on those first class seats. I'd rather sit in back.

Latest resources

Back