Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wrongful death suite filed against flight team.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can sue for anything; juries always feel bad about someone dying and want to make it right. Going to court is expensive for the defendant and you might loose to a jury of your peers. So an out of court settlement of say 50K-100K might be the cheapest way out of this case. There is no penalty for stupid suing with your atty takes it on contingency. Unlike the rest of the civilized world where there is a cost for stupid suits. It has little to do with justice, and a lot to do with process

This will never see a jury, as long as the crew acted within the scope of their SOP and in good faith.

I would hope so also, but as I said you can sue for any reason, it is the american way. Besides we have so many atty's we have to keep them employed.

Unlike the rest of the civilized world where there is a cost for stupid suits. It has little to do with justice, and a lot to do with process

Absolutely, in pretty much all the rest of the world this lawsuit would quite rightly either be immediately dismissed, or were it to proceed, the plaintiff would end up paying the defendants legal fees plus a penalty for arrogance... here they are rewarded.

“I was shocked when I learned of the 300-pound limit. It doesn’t make sense,” she said. “I can’t find any state or national standard for that (rule).”

That makes sense to me. What's next, buying a Sikorsky s-60 Skycrane?

Actually there seems to be a growing demand for bariatric ambos. The company that I fly for turns down quite a few trips a month due to size/weight problems. I've flown a number of patients in 300 pound range and one 415 pounder, getting him through a 36 in door was difficult to say the least. I could'nt imagine loading someone of that size in a citation or kingair. Luckly we were able to enlist the help of the local CFR guys.
I think a Falcon 20 in the cargo config would best suit this niche. You could even get the really obese people and just think how easy it would be loading with a forklift.

This will never see a jury, as long as the crew acted within the scope of their SOP and in good faith.

That's just not true, especially in a civil case. You can follow all the rules, you can adhere to your standard operating procedures, and that doesn't mean a thing when you're called before a jury of non-pilots, non-medical personnel who form their opinons based on the convincing dialogue of a high-priced attorney.

Additionally, in civil court, there's no such thing as beyond a reasonable doubt; the burden of proof is a preponderance of the evidence...which doesn't mean that you need to be proven guilty. Just that a jury needs to be convinced. Ever have an opinion that at least twelve people might not like or with which at least twelve people might not agree? There's your jury.

The highest damages awarded in a general aviation trial, the one which lead to sweeping changes in tort reform in the industry, involved the estate of a man killed while flyin ghis super cub. His estate sued Piper and a number of others. He died flying from the rear seat when he should have been in the front. He couldn't fly from the front becuase it was fully of illegally installed, unairworthy camera equipment...equipment which he hit and which killed him, incidentally...equipment which he installed. He was departing a closed runway. He was illegally towing a glider, and was forbidden to operate from that airport or runway by the airport manager, who had not only closed the runway but X'd it off, and parked a van across it to prevent it's use.

The man's estate sued and one a hundred twelve million, because piper didn't have a shoulder harness in the cub.

When the cub was built, it didn't require one.

They won.

Don't think for a moment that simply because you followed the regulation and company SOP, that you're safe. Not remotely so.

Latest resources

Back