Written Test

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ALIMBO

Hey everyone over this Christmas break I am going to be going to ATP down at Dallas for my CFI/CFII MEI.
Its a 2 week course that requires you to have the writtens completed before you come down. My question is can any CFI sign me off to take the writtens or is there a legality issue stating that you need to have ground done before they will sign you off to take it? I know if you fail you need to go over it with a CFI so that you can retake it. Thnks for the help.

Well, there is no written for the MEI, so there's one less to worry about.

In order to take a written, you need to be signed off by an instructor that has the certificate/rating that your written is intended for. So, just go out and find a CFI+CFII and work out an arrangement. The written is where you are demonstrating the aeronautical knowledge portion of the checkride, and all the signoff does is certify that you know what you're doing enough to pass it. To my knowledge, there is no minimum amount of ground training in order to get signed off, but the instructor will probably (or at least should) want to ensure that you can pass before they put pen to logbook.

Thats what I thought. I'm nervous about the FOI test any tips?

Yes. Study.

When the FAA publishes the questions and you have ample material available with not only the answers but the explainations as well, what is there to possibly be nervous about?

The answers all make sense ie. it looks like 2 of the answers would be correct.

When the FAA publishes the questions and you have ample material available with not only the answers but the explainations as well, what is there to possibly be nervous about?

It's the pre-test jitters. Most written tests have the answers published somewhere, as long as you read the right material.

I haven't CFI'ed in a few years, but I recall that one did not need an endorsement to take the CFI or ATP writtens.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, there is no written for the MEI, so there's one less to worry about.

In order to take a written, you need to be signed off by an instructor that has the certificate/rating that your written is intended for. So, just go out and find a CFI+CFII and work out an arrangement. The written is where you are demonstrating the aeronautical knowledge portion of the checkride, and all the signoff does is certify that you know what you're doing enough to pass it. To my knowledge, there is no minimum amount of ground training in order to get signed off, but the instructor will probably (or at least should) want to ensure that you can pass before they put pen to logbook.

Ok thats fantastic news, but you wouldn't happen to know which FAR that would fall under 61.35 states nothing specific to the CFI tests.

Why don't you ask one of the testing centers to be sure. They are the ones to verify the information. But my recollection is that the CFI, CFII, FOI, AGI, BGI, IGI, etc. writtens DO NOT need an instructors endorsement. Things may have changed but I've not heard differently.

Latest resources

Back