Written / Practical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ricky83

Does anyone remember what is on the ADX written test?

Also Does anyone remember what the practical test was like?

I am getting ready to take both test in the next few weeks and was looking for some insight.

a little mix of everything. More weather and 121 rules than some other sections if I remember correctly. I was never good at the weight shift problems, but I only remember seeing 1 or 2 on the test, so it wasn't that big of a deal that I didn't know it that well.

For the written expect only 1 or 2 flight plan questions, and a few weight and balance questions. My test was mostly Wx and FAR's with a few performance questions in there. Then it had 1 major flight plan question, and a couple on approach charts. Probably had a few of those pallet weight and balance questions and as well as the % Mac ones as well.

Pretty much the entire test is random. But for the most part the test was mainly FAR's, WX, and Charts with a hand full of the other stuff.

Remember, you only need to get 56 right on the written test to pass with a 70 so don’t stress too much about it.

Also the practical test in itself really depends on the examiner. Each test can be different, but they do have the practical test standards to follow. Mine was talking about 121 FAR's, flight principals from the AIM, wx in general, wx patterns, wx theory and a lot of wx charts. Then I had to build up a flight plan with all the performance manuals, paper Jepp approach plates and enroute charts…etc with manual weight and balance numbers and then explain why I chose this and that.

When they give you the flight plan, you will most likley have some sort of restricting MEL item, most likely be from an airport with a short runway, will have to pick an alternate, and work around any possible weather.

Remember though, the examiner is NOT there to fail you! They just want to see your thought process, and decision making while making sure you have a general understanding for the material. If you don’t know something, just say I don’t know. No shame in not knowing because you simply can not know everything. The key is knowing where to look up the subject matter. If you don’t know an FAR, MEL, WX chart info ...etc, know where to look it up.

Last edited:
For the written expect only 1 or 2 flight plan questions, and a few weight and balance questions. My test was mostly Wx and FAR's with a few performance questions in there. Then it had 1 major flight plan question, and a couple on approach charts. Probably had a few of those pallet weight and balance questions and as well as the % Mac ones as well.

Pretty much the entire test is random. But for the most part the test was mainly FAR's, WX, and Charts with a hand full of the other stuff.

Remember, you only need to get 56 right on the written test to pass with a 70 so don’t stress too much about it.

Yes, I will concur with this information. Definitly mostly over FARs, WX, and charts with just a few w&B and flight plan questions. The practical....well, my experience probably wasn't the same as most people's....I was given my practical by a new FAA examiner, who was in turn himself being examined by a more senior FAA examiner....let's just say my practical took 3 hours, but was not hard, just thorough.

Remember though, the examiner is NOT there to fail you!

We had people in our class fail the pratical. They had to take it over...a couple of them had to take it more than twice. But, hey that was over 15 years ago! (I'm getting old...fast!) :0

The practical test is totally up to the D.E.
He/she has to follow the PTS and there WILL be some sort of flight plan to do, but beyond that who knows. Every D.E. is different.

Latest resources

Back