Writing on the wall for major airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

goldentrout

I was looking at a wall the other day...and this writing started appearing out of nowhere

"Air Tran, JetBlue and Southwest are only three of the nation's discount carriers, but they're the healthiest and fastest-growing. Southwest, the biggest discount airline, with 379 jets, is taking 42 new planes next year and more than 20 a year after that. JetBlue and AirTran are poised to double their fleets in five years. "

Actually, this is from an article in USA Today last Friday, 8 Aug.

In summary, Jet Blue plans to go from 44 to 173 planes by 2008. AirTran plans to go from 67 to 156, and SWA plans to go from 379 to 567.

Also, until a few months ago, DAL had a lock on the non-stop ATL/LAX route, with a walk up fare off $2,221. Last month, Air Tran put one of their planes on that route.

Today on Orbitz the DAL fare to go ATL/LAX is $513.

The rest of the article basically lays out how the low cost carriers are going to start serving large metropolitan areas where the majors have pretty much a monopoly and charge outrageous fares.

My hypothesis is even if DAL filled up every coach seat on it's 757
from ATL to LAX, it's overhead would still probably prevent it from making any money. My conclusion is that with flight schedule reductions at the majors, flight loads are up around 75-80%...yet the majors are still losing hundreds of millions a quarter...no where near even breaking even despite increased flight loads.

SWA/FRONTIER/JET BLUE/AIRTRAN all will have

1. Newer, more comfortable, more fuel efficient planes, with more passenger amenities.
2. Significantly lower overhead costs.
3. Routes which overlap the majors hubs out of ATL/JFK/DEN/STL etc.
4. A safe operation

Furthermore...most of the majors' pilot groups either have a scope clause or pay rates that will keep their companies from buying new mid-sized planes at a cost where they are competitive.

The whole major airline business plan is predicated on the high dollar business traveler who will make up for the $200-$300 leisure fare traveler.

Those days are gone forever.

Smarter airline executives have seen the market for low cost, safe air travel, and are making money doing it just as good at a significantly lower cost.

I imagine ALPA's strategy is to get with the MECs of the low cost carriers and have them demand outrageous pay rates in their next contract, so that the low cost carriers will have to raise their ticket prices.

After watching the UAL/US Air/DAL/AMR MECs kill their golden gooses, it would be suicidal for the AirTran or SWA MEC to demand the kind of contracts exisiting at UAL or DAL prior to 9/11....but then again greed is a powerful thing.

And I don't buy the argument that eventually all the low cost carriers will start losing money, as they compete with each other as they get more and more market share.

So what if they compete with each other? Many industries in this country have multiple companies in competition, yet making money.

The only thing that will kill the low cost airlines is if their unions demand outrageous contracts, or if they start crashing planes.

It's just a matter of time before AirTran has a jet on every route served by DAL out of ATL...then the writing on the wall will have already faded away for those who didn't see it soon enough.

I'm all fopr as much money as we can get, but what good is it to make 100-150K for three years as a 737 FO if your on the street for the next five years...assuming your comany even exists in five years.

How about 60-100K for 737 FOs, and 100-150K a year for 737 CAs, 15 day or so off a month for lineholders, with sometype of decent retirement plan (no A fund), a profit sharing program, a company matched 401K, with good medical/dental/travel benefits?

Man, now there's an original idea where an airline could probably make some money, with an overhead structure that could weather some bad times and let the employees share in the good times...maybe I'll start an airline like that.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**...I forget...SWA has been doing that every year for the last 20 years or so, and AirTran and Jet Blue are already making millions on that band wagon too.

The writing is on the wall (or at least in USA Today) for those who want to see the future of the US airline industry.

When will ALPA put the interest of the airline pilot profession ahead of the greed of the few at the top of the list who will destroy the rest of us at all costs to "preserve the profession." (translation "preserve our retirement").

Nice rant................and I agree with it! The ALPA national leadership is blind and arrogant. They will not recognize market forces, and it will be their swan song.

Last edited:
How many 10 year captains does Jetblue have?

Its only going to become more expensive to operate when planes and pilots get older.

There is no question that things are changing and the classic majors will have to change their fare stucturesor route structures to compete. Right now they arent doing a good job of making the flying unique and different and worth the "extra" money to fly. LCC arent all that brand new, even though there is a new fad right now, and when the economny picks back up, i think youll see business passengers and higher paying passengers back at the classic majors taking advantage of the mileage programs, clubs, and wide route stuctures.
Jetblue hasnt barely even ventured out from the proven runs of NYC, Florida, and California.

Sorry, KingAirer.....you're not even close to being on the mark. There is a sea change going on, in an industry that has not learned from the lessons of the dinosuars, and their ultimate extinction. Adapt and change......or die.

That's it....that's all.

goldentrout said:

SWA/FRONTIER/JET BLUE/AIRTRAN

I imagine ALPA's strategy is to get with the MECs of the low cost carriers and have them demand outrageous pay rates in their next contract, so that the low cost carriers will have to raise their ticket prices.

After watching the UAL/US Air/DAL/AMR MECs kill their golden gooses, it would be suicidal for the AirTran or SWA MEC to demand the kind of contracts exisiting at UAL or DAL prior to 9/11....but then again greed is a powerful thing.

While I agree with much of what you said in your post, I wanted to point out a couple of things. None of the 4 LCCs mentioned above are ALPA carriers, so it would be hard for ALPA to "get with the MECs" of these airlines and have them demand anything. SWA, Frontier and AirTran each have in-house unions and jetBlue is non-union.

Secondly, at AirTran (and SWA also, I believe) there is no "MEC". The governing body of our union is called a Board of Directors or "BOD". Just nit-picking, but trying to be factual. In any event, I don't see our BOD demanding a "suicidal" contract, nor do I see the company or the pilot group agreeing to one. SWA has avoided the "suicidal" contract for over 30 years now, so I don't believe they are in danger of this, either. I would think that our BOD and pilot group, when addressing our next contract, will look for improvements in certain areas while, at the same time, keeping the long term goals and viability of the company in mind.

I agree with most of what is outlined in this post but want to look beyond the present-time "pay the lowest fare with no frills" industry that we seem to be evolving into. A couple of questions.

What will the future look like when the LCCs run the former "major airlines" out of business and a person needs to fly international? Pan Am proved that an international airline couldn’t be supported without a domestic feed in the days after deregulation. Will AAL, DAL, NWA, & UAL meet the same fate as Pan Am? If so, who will fill the void, foreign carriers?

Also, what will be the fate of the CRAF? We cannot count on foreign carriers to supply us with airlift in the event of a national emergency and the 737s etc. will not support the requirement.

Just some passing thoughts......

In terms of business practices this all reminds me of the old "Grasshopper and the Ant" fable. SWA is one hell of an ant.

The business practices and ethics of some of the majors is laughable. I don't know any other industry that planners say "Well, since we can't run this one successfully, lets put some more money (that we don't have) into this new shinier version of ourselves."

Not to mention when a company, any company, becomes large enough it will inevitably become as inefficient and lifeless as government.

Darwin does business.

ex nav,
Very good questions. I would think that some type of codeshare (i.e. Star Alliance, SkyTeam) could seamlessly handle a traveller's plans. However, I do think that not all of the majors are going to be out of business - but their numbers will be reduced to just 2 or 3.
As for the CRAF, that is a very good - and scary - question. The only answer that I can give is that we would have a lot of airplanes in the desert....

Nice vision Golden, So after working for xyz for 15 years you are going to be happy taking home 80,000.00 a year and spending every holiday on the road. Sounds like the standard from an ex mil type who had a million bucks of our money spent on there training and is suckin on a retirement program.
I say keep the pay rates high and when the well runs dry go do something else. Full pay to the last day and then shut it down..... And let all the lowfare vultures crawl alll over themselves to provide an ever higher level of service for an ever lower price........I would rather sell cars............better benefits anyway

Latest resources

Back