Writing a Flight Plan..??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dominicinco

I have an assignment to write a flight plan but I'm stuck as to what to do.
Heres what the assignment was:

Assume zero deviation as if you had a perfect compass.

First as text in case your system cannot accept inserted grid, then as grid and next EMail will carry an MSExcel attachment
:
Does the given weather appear suitable for this flight? Yes/No Reasons:

What altitude have you decided to cruise at? Why?

Spadaro 1N2 true crs winds WCA True Hdg + - VAR Mag Hdg Grnd Spd LegNM ETE GPH Fuel Req

to HTO
MTP
SEV
KBID

Does the given weather appear suitable for this flight? Yes/No Reasons:

What altitude have you decided to cruise at? Why?

true crs / winds / WCA / True Hdg / + - VAR / Mag Hdg / Grnd Spd / LegNM ETE / GPH / Fuel Req

Spadaro 1N2
to HTO
MTP
SEV
KBID

You should also draw a diagram showing the VOR and the runways at Block Island and draw a line of your course arriving at the VOR and then what route you would fly to enter the traffic pattern and make your landing. Show some initiative. Figure it out. Refer to your text and other sources on how to make safe approaches to uncontrolled (no control tower) airports.
Either an Airport/Facility directory covering Rhode Island
OR
this site
will be of some use to you also:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBID

Can someone get me started..

First, figure out where you are going and how you plan to get there. Looks like "Spadaro 1N2" to HTO to MTP to SEV to KBID. HTO, MTP, and SEV are radiobeacons of some sort (I assume VORs). KBID is an airport and I from what it sounds like "Spadaro 1N2" is also an airport (find the 4 letter or letter/number identifier for it). Figure out what ground tracks you want to get to those places in that order.

Next is the basic weather. Ceilings along your route of flight? Any good tailwinds or headwinds? Turbulence?

Then you figure out how high you cruise. Use your weather above to get an idea of what you want. Also remember there may be towers along your flight and the ground elevation may change. If you are going east, you are odds plus 500ft, if you go west, you are evens plus 500ft.

Now take your winds aloft and figure out the direction you want to point the nose of the aircraft at (wind correction angle [WCA]). Factor in magnetic variance (+ - VAR Mag). Also grab your groundspeeds while you have your E6B out.

Then you figure how long it will take you to travel from A to B at X groundspeed. Grab your ETE from that and then figure out fuel burn.

Then for your stuff at Spadaro 1N2 and KBID, grab your Airport Facility Directory (AFD aka green book) and look up the airports. Find out Traffic Pattern Altitude (TPA), frequencies, and standard and/or non-standard traffic pattern. Draw your little diagram and you are finished.

Budget 4 hours of time for the first one you do.

Jedi hit the nail on the head.... He gave great instuctions... I just want to add to it just a bit.... From the sounds of things its obviously a VFR flight plan... Depending on weather, make sure you adhear to all of the visibility and distance from cloud requirements. Watch for any class of airspace along your route of flight that might require you talking to some sort of controlling agency. And one last thing.... This is just something that I do personally. When going into an uncontrolled airport I like to cross over the field at the appropriate altitude and just take a look at whats going on down there.... Example. Wind sock (if there is no asos), Anything that might be on the runway, and just about anything that might pose as a hazard. Obviously you wouldn't be able to see much at night, but I still use the same procedure. Best of luck with your assignment.

Dominicinco said:

First as text in case your system cannot accept inserted grid, then as grid and next EMail will carry an MSExcel attachment
I guess I Am the only one that has no idea what he's talking about :confused:

cubegirl7 said:
how come you were given an assignment without any explanation on how to complete the task? Weird...

Welcome to collegiate academia.

Prof: "Here, go do this."
Student: "Where do I start?"
Prof: "Come see me during office hours." (Translation: Figure it out for yourself, moron.)

i dunno, i guess i missed something in class.
but guess what!
I ended up doing it in class because my prof. let us finish it up. I got a sectional chart and basically used my head to figure out it would take about 30 minutes from KBID to HTO and would require 4-5 gallons of fuel. and you would need to fly at 2500 msl to give about 1,000ft clearance for the wildlife refuge. True airspeed would be about 90 mph and ground speed would be 80 mph, about right. I also calculated for wind correction angle and it came out right. Is this safe? I think i have a built in E6B in my head :D

So I got an 86 on the assignment, which I am happy with. I know when you're actually flight planning, you dont want to come close, but dead on.

ok, thats it. and thank you all for posting, it really helped me in understanding what i had to do.
cheers

Dominicinco said:
...to give about 1000ft clearance for the wildlife refuge.

May wanna double check that one. Good job though otherwise. Also don't be afraid to plan to cruise at higher altitudes. I know i always stayed low to start out, but you'll find that being up a little higher helps you stay away from having to use the 3 C's.
-Zach

SupraZachAir said:
May wanna double check that one. Good job though otherwise. Also don't be afraid to plan to cruise at higher altitudes. I know i always stayed low to start out, but you'll find that being up a little higher helps you stay away from having to use the 3 C's.
-Zach

I believe that the 2,000 feet of clearance for parks, etc. is only recommended, not required. Not 100% sure on that as I don't have a sectional handy, but nonetheless, the recommendation is listed there.

Latest resources

Back