• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wouldn't this be a fabulous job...NOT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Also, do days on the water in non-commercial boating count? I race sailboats on Lake Michigan in a league (I'm the bowman.... the spinnaker is my job!). Would they take that into account? (I'm thinking no, but I figure I'd ask)"

Yes and no. If you wanted to work on the bridge of a Carnival ship, then no.

However, someone mentioned earlier about a "6 pack" license. This is actually what we call a 6 pax license. This would enable you to work on an unregistered vessel up to 100 tons with up to 6 paying passengers onboard. Over 6 passengers than the vessel must be registered and you would have to have at least a 100 ton license. Working on a boat on Lake Michigan even as a bowman in a summer racing series would count as seatime towards a 6 pack license. I believe, but don't quote me, that you could probably convince the Coast Guard to give you credit towards a 100 ton license as well which is basically the next step up from a 6 pack.

To get the 6 pack, you would need 365 days of seatime and take a written test as well as a CPR card. Years ago on recreational boats a day of seatime was counted when you were underway for 4 or more hours. I'm not sure if that is still the standard.

Aero99, no offense taken. Being both an airline pilot and merchant seaman, I can attest that both occupations require high degrees of skill and time to become "seasoned" in the occupation. That is all I was trying to say but I believe you already know that.

Skybolt quote:
"However, someone mentioned earlier about a "6 pack" license. This is actually what we call a 6 pax license. This would enable you to work on an unregistered vessel up to 100 tons with up to 6 paying passengers onboard. Over 6 passengers than the vessel must be registered and you would have to have at least a 100 ton license. Working on a boat on Lake Michigan even as a bowman in a summer racing series would count as seatime towards a 6 pack license. I believe, but don't quote me, that you could probably convince the Coast Guard to give you credit towards a 100 ton license as well which is basically the next step up from a 6 pack. "

I concur. This is what I had looked into years back, when I had the bright idea of becoming a charter captain in the Carribean. Sobered up, realized I wasn't Jimmy Buffet and decided against it. I am pretty sure for the 6pax, if you passed a written, and demonstrated Navigational ability along with seamanship and regulations, you could obtain the 6 pax pretty easy.

"I don't know what cruise ships require as a far as prior experience goes, but would think you would need to a license to get in the pilot house. Not a place for just anyone to be in. You would have a specific job function or watch that you rotate around. Could be the helmsman (driver) lee-helmsman (throttles) nav assistant, or lookout which are mostly grunt work. The officers would be Captian, Nav, Officer on Deck etc.... "

Ah, the diferences between the merchant service and the navy that I was talking about earlier. As a merchant guy, I was always amazed by how many people were on the bridge of a naval ship- helmsman, lookout, bearing takers,navigator, OOD, JOOD, signalmen, someone to watch the helsman, etc, etc. It always seemed like people were tripping over each other. Mercahnt ships generally have a watch officer (mate), and maybe a helmsman (that seems to be only when you're going into port nowadays-I agree probably not the safest practice). But when you look at the mission of combatant ships, they man their bridges assuming that there may be up to 50% casualties in combat so they need to have more people around. But us merchant guys still like to make fun of 'em anyway.....

QUOTE "Ah, the diferences between the merchant service and the navy that I was talking about earlier. As a merchant guy, I was always amazed by how many people were on the bridge of a naval ship- helmsman, lookout, bearing takers,navigator, OOD, JOOD, signalmen, someone to watch the helsman, etc, etc. It always seemed like people were tripping over each other. Mercahnt ships generally have a watch officer (mate), and maybe a helmsman (that seems to be only when you're going into port nowadays-I agree probably not the safest practice). But when you look at the mission of combatant ships, they man their bridges assuming that there may be up to 50% casualties in combat so they need to have more people around. But us merchant guys still like to make fun of 'em anyway....."

Look out now........we usually had all those people on hand when you brought us fuel, but in normal ops, just 2 officers and a few grunts like myself.:)

I come from a family of recreational boaters, and one day my dad asked me how a First Mate ranks on a boat, is it like a First Officer on a plane?

My old man is kinda like the dad from the show Titus, so I had to make up a quick unintelligible answer that would prove to confuse him into thinking he received new knowledge (which of course he didn't).

Question 1:

Is there such a thing as a First Mate (I believe he was asking about the cruise liner world)

Question 2:

Where is the First Mate in the food chain?

Take care all.

B

My First Mate is now my Ex-wife.

I think that is tanker or cruise ship lingo. Didn't have any first mates, wooden legs or Parrots in the Navy.

We did have a Gecco in the engine room for about 3 months after a Pearl Harbor trip. When he died, we did a full dress sea burial, with a coffin, and made a slide to push him over.

You get bored after a few months ok.....

"Jimmy doesn't have a Citation, but he has an Albatross, Lear, Falcon, and a Caravan on floats. His co-pilot is his dog on the Albatross"

He used to have one, back in the mid 90's I fueled up his citation when he flew in for a concert. I believe it was a 550, not sure though. I wasn't all that airplane savvy back then. It had a parrot painted on the tail. He was in and out for a couple of days while playing at the gorge at george in washington state. His pilot had the best uniform, khaki shorts, a t-shirt, and a baseball cap. Corona was sponsering the tour so there was plenty to go around the hangar.
:cool:

Bushpilot asked:

Question 1:

Is there such a thing as a First Mate (I believe he was asking about the cruise liner world)

Question 2:

Where is the First Mate in the food chain?

In the Merchant service, the first mate is generally called the Chief Mate (or Chief Officer). The Chief Mate is in charge of the deck department. There is also the Chief Engineer which is the head of the engine department and the Chief Steward which is in charge of the stewards department. Each of these three Chiefs report to the Captain, or Master. The Captain always comes from the deck department so that kind of shafts the Engineers and Stewards because they will never be a Captain. That being said, I would hate to work on a ship where the Captain went down to the engine room and started telling people what to do. Even though he is in command of the ship, it is just not done. Even though the Chief Mate is in charge of the deck department, the Captain will probably have more day to day contact with him and the operation of the department where he leaves the engine room and machinary to the whims of the Chief Engineer. So that being said, the Chief Engineer probably has a little more pull than the Cheif Mate. If the Captain were to ever become incapacitated (hey there is no age 60 rule, I've seen 80 year old Captains before) than the Chief Mate would take command.

Clear as mud?

Ah, the diferences between the Navy and the Mechants!

That type of commanding is why the Valdez hit dirt. It is possible to command respect without demanding respect. All my captains went into every space and used this time to train the crew. Communication is key to safety just as in an aircraft. I hope that you don't use this same mentallity in the cockpit if and when you are PIC. Captians of any vessel hold the same responsibility as a PIC. Responsibility to the safety of your crew and passengers. If the Captain doesn't go into the engine room, I don't want to be onboard.

I think you would agree with that as a pilot.

Latest resources

Back