Would you own a Long EZ/Vari EZ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ShawnC said:
I don't believe you can do your own maintenance unless you built it, and then only if you apply for a Repairman's certificate.

You can do your own MX, but an A/P or the original builder needs to inspect and sign the logbook. T

Scott

sstearns2 said:
You can do your own MX, but an A/P or the original builder needs to inspect and sign the logbook. T

Scott

I thought you could do that with any aircraft?

an owner, non-builder can do any maintenance to an amateur built and no other singatures are required. This person would require at least an A&P (or the original builder with the repairmans cert) to sign off the 12 mo condition inspection.

An owner-builder with the repairmans cert for that plane, can do anything to that plane under thier own signature.

New operating limitations can even be established with these levels of approval now, with a recent change in the regs. Not too familiar with these latest changes though.

Last edited:
I too am looking for a Varieze and can't afford the Longeze and have read alot of info. on various forums, auctions, owners, eaa, and canard pusher letters. This is what I have gleened.

Varieze run in the 12,000 to 22,000 range. Longeze are approx 25,000 to 50,000 range. Varieze is intended to be a SIMPLE day VFR (little electronics) with 600 +/- range although some are equiped with strobes,etc. for night VFR. Only seen one equiped for IFR. Longeze is intended to be a day/night VFR with modest IFR equipment if wanted and carry starter, larger alternator and range over 1000. Varieze is slightly faster on average but smaller. Varieze has little payload after 2 adults and 25 +/- gallons of gas. Longez extra payload after 2 adults and 50 gallons of gas.

You can do any maintenance, repair, etc. on an experimental aircraft. Only engine/airframe inspection needed is a conditional inspection every 12 months. This can be done by an AP or the builder if he has gotten a repairman cert for that aircraft only. If IFR, then those need to be done also pitot/static, etc. It is my understanding that if you have a O200 and it has has airworthness cert with O200, then if an AD comes for a O200, then you have to comply with it. That's why some builders put down that they have an experimental motor on cert. so they don't need to comply with ADs even though it could be a O200.

Here's a link for faq and repair of experimentals :
http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/faq/faq.html

Also, the Varieze and Longez can have corrision where the wings are removed and should be inspected for wear. I recommend that you read the canard pusher letters which can be found below. They are 15 Megabytes so wait awhile it to load.http://www.eracer.org/canardpusher/cp1to82.html

I would buy a Longez if I could afford it. Most accidents I hear is the nose wheel collasping when landing due to no flare. Only complaint is what other people are saying concerning the building of the airplane. Don't really know what you are getting. However, these airplanes are also overbuilt. Burt Rutan took a builders canard that he missed up building. It has bubbles and delamination. He tested it and it was still over 6 g's before failure.

Varieze has little forward view when climbing compared to Longez. There have been some changes to Longez such as Roncz canards for flying in rain and large rudders for Longez that are talked about in the cp letters.

Enough writing for now. Any questions, just ask.

Re. the engine, legally you can do anything you want to it with amateur built. No AD compliance is required. Might be a good idea to consider them though! I've heard of some who do keep their engines "legal" using A&P maintenance and all apvd parts per the TCDS, but it's optional.

Latest resources

Back