Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would You Fly On An Airliner With Just One Pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wired Magazine, are you kidding? Didn't Popular Mechanics in the 50s predict flying cars standard in every household by this time? The writers of magazines get paid to write a blend of reality and science fiction. And airplanes simpler than driving?? What's the plan when something goes wrong in the car....pull over to the side of the road. What's the plan during a major structural failure in an aircraft that takes out multiple systems?

In terms of complexity of variables, yes flying is much simpler than driving. ATC separates us from most of the variables we have to deal with. There's a reason autopilots exist in aircraft, but auto-drive in cars doesn't.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen during my career, but in the grand scheme, oh yeah, it's coming. Think 100 years. 200 years. You think a couple dudes will be in each cockpit flying planes in 200 years?

There are many, many, many hurdles to overcome to make it happen. Look how Segway flopped. A simple two way scooter was supposed to revolutionize city life transportation. Basic airplane monorail systems suffer hiccups all the time. You can't just stop an airplane midair to restore the system.

Yes, many hurdles, which is why I think this will happen at the end of my career in 25 years or so. Maybe 75 years on the outside...either way I don't care because I'm out of the business by then. :)

Oh yeah, it's right around the corner! </sarcasm> just as soon as we get the iPads hooked up we're going straight to pilotless planes.

Yes, many hurdles, which is why I think this will happen at the end of my career in 25 years or so. Maybe 75 years on the outside...either way I don't care because I'm out of the business by then. :)

I have quite a few doubts even beyond your or mine life span. For one, no pilots on board = lack of direct interest in the safety of the flight. That may work for cargo not flown over populated areas, but passengers, yea I don't think so. Two, how many futuristic science fiction movies ever show spacecraft operating without pilots up front on the craft? It's beyond logic or science fiction to believe a massive ship that operates three dimensional at high speeds with passengers can safely maneuver without someone in control on board.

I have quite a few doubts even beyond your or mine life span. For one, no pilots on board = lack of direct interest in the safety of the flight. That may work for cargo not flown over populated areas, but passengers, yea I don't think so. Two, how many futuristic science fiction movies ever show spacecraft operating without pilots up front on the craft? It's beyond logic or science fiction to believe a massive ship that operates three dimensional at high speeds with passengers can safely maneuver without someone in control on board.

No point in arguing about what may be in the future. Chances are it will defy our logic or imagination, given the level of change experienced over the past 15 years. The pace of change is increasing beyond our capability to comprehend the implications.

spirit or jetblue will try to lobby for this in less than 10 years. maybe then jetblue will vote in a union

Latest resources

Back