Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would You Fly On An Airliner With Just One Pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For sure....as long as I was the pilot.

If I were getting paid what a captain and F/O made combined... Id think about it.

From the article:

"But is the travelling public ready for single pilot commercial operations? How would you react if you knew your plane had a super-advanced autopilot and the very latest safety systems but just one pilot? What if the ticket price was cheaper?"

Thanks, EuroWeenies.

Regards,
Fr8-

My grandfather (who was a career PanAm FE) refuses to get on any plane with less than 4 engines and 3 pilots. Sadly, I wish that was still the industry norm.

I think Clayton Osbon severely damaged the argument for a single pilot airliner.

Maybe, but it may only accelerate the process. Large drones already operate pilot-less & completely untethered to the ground, delivering mail and supplies in Afghanistan.

I think the economic arguments will win the day as they always have. Safety is a buzzword that can only do so much. I think we will see cockpits with one live crew member and the other maybe sitting on the ground somewhere flying remotely. Technology is already there, now all that's missing is for the public to be sold on it and the unions to be browbeaten into accepting the new status quo. Just a matter of time I'm afraid...

The next question will be, will the public accept "No Pilot"??? Who is going to feed the dog then?

Last edited:
Sorry, but the unions will have no say once pilotless aircraft happens. What will they do? Strike? Strikes do no good if you're being fired anyway.

Unions may slow down early adoption, but eventually pilotless aircraft will happen. It might be 200-300 years, but "never" is a long time.

Latest resources

Back