• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would getting my Flt engineer help me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Although most of the major carriers are phasing out 3 pilot airplanes, I say that just taking the written would be a good review of aircraft systems. That review could be handy on a technical interview. Just a thought!!!

CaptElmo

i got 83 on the fe written a few weeks ago.

i've got no college and my turbine time is questionable, so i thought i'd take the written - plus my boss is looking at boeings.

some schools offer the rating - for $5000.

i always thought the ATP written could apply to cessna 172's, while the FE written seemed more like it was for boeings, etc.

i always thought the majors liked to see the written, even if just for FO's.

also, i sit at my outstation for ten hours a day with nothing else to do but study

Thanks for everyones opinions, this is my first time on the board and i am very impressed how helpfull everyone was. A wise pilot once told me you cant have to much on your ticket and too many hours in the air. But im not gong to spend $5000 on a rating i will never us.

Thanks agian
Chris

If you were to spend money on a rating, the money would be much better spent getting a 737 or A 320 type rating. Spending thousands to get an FE rating these days is probably not worth it.

That being said, having an FE may be advantageous in getting a major airline job. Why? It would show that you could handle a course which requires at least very good knowledge of aircraft systems to complete.

Dropping big bucks on type ratings

I thought that buying a Citation type would help me because it would show that I was trainable. Also, twelve years ago, Eagle was using a Citation sim for its interviews. While I enjoyed myself thoroughly at Mike Pappas' that week in Carlsbad, I was wrong on both counts. The type rating did not generate interest in my quals. I did attend an Eagle interview. The Citation sim was nothing at all like the airplane!

Maybe the type helped me get the more senior flight instructor jobs I sought, but it didn't help me with the commuters or others.

Just one man's experiences. If you get a type, you need to get PIC in the actual aircraft to make it meaningful.

Although debate rages on the propriety and ethics of buying a 737 type to apply to Southwest, you should wait until you build up far more time than you have along with real 121 experience before you consider if you should do so.

Last edited:
I think you have already figured out that getting an FE ticket now would not be beneficial to getting a job. HOWEVER, if you happen to be an A&P mechanic and want to be a Flight Engineer there are still many companies out there that hire "PFE"s (Professional Flight Engineers). If you want to fly, however, DON'T DO IT... Instead, by looking at your posted flight time... you should think about getting your instructor ratings, something you can definitely use towards your ultimate goal of being a pilot.

Pilatus,

I didn't realize you only have 220 hours. Like others have said, your should be focusing heavily on your instructor ratings and building your flight time.

Good luck.

Even if you had money to burn, why blow it on an A-320 type? A B-737 type I kinda understand, but an Airbus? Who requires one of those?

Latest resources

Back