Would getting my Flt engineer help me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilatus

Hey guys, I wanted to know if you think getting my Flt engineer rating would help my chances getting a job. What do you have to do to get this rating. Is it just a written or is there more to it?

Thanks
Chris

Probably not. There is a lot more than a written. Many airlines that still have FE's require the written so that they know you have it before you start training. Honestly, only a few airlines still have FE's, and most of them fly cargo at night. I dont' think anyone would give you a leg up if you had the rating, and you would still have to go through their training anyway. Honestly, it would probably be a waste of money. Anyway, you can get it somewhere, and there is an oral and practical, and from what I hear, it's one of the toughest ratings in aviation. Hope this helps you, and good luck.

Chris,

Getting your F/E really won't help you with your flight time. Most carriers that still use engineers are hiring pilots that will work as engineers until they are able to bid on first officer positions. Those airlines require candidates to hold all their flight ratings and have competitive flight times. I think the last airline to hire PFE's (Professional Flight Engineers) was Emery but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is save your money and build your flight time.

BTW - In addition to taking the FE written, a FAA checkride is required like any other flight rating. Let me say from experience - this is not an easy check ride.

FE Rateing ?

True of whats been said so far. Some carriers require that you have the written but these are usually only for three man cockpit configured aircraft, where you hire on in the back seat untill you qualify for the move to the right seat. By the way,Emery was not the last to hire PFE's, and there are a few companies that still do.They are very few and far between though. Trust me, I've been doing it for 18 years and its real tuff to find steady work. If I were to start over again I would concentrate on getting all of my pilot rateings first.

Buying the FE

For sure, take the FEX or FEJ written if you're applying to the majors, but don't bother with buying the rating. People bought an FE ten years ago, but it really didn't help them even then. In fact, I knew an ERAU instructor (with strange ideas about getting hired) who bought the FE. It didn't help him.

Even ten years ago, not that many people were hiring PFEs, so, I'm sure, fewer still are being hired these days. Moreover, the ones that are hired usually need good panel time to qualify. And, even then, PFEs also needed their A & P.

Hope that helps a little.

Since you say its really hard do you guys know of any schools that could teach it to me...I dont know anyone in my area that has it or any clue how to get it.

Thanks for all your help
Chris

These other guys have already told you that it would not be advantageous to get the FE rating at this point in your career. The written is only good for two years, so unless you have a shot at a major job in the next 24 months (one that requires it), then that would be wasted time, effort and money, too.

Why do people continually ask questions on these forums, when they are only looking for answers that conform to what they have already decided?

Take the written test , this all you need , there is no airline requiring a FE ticket only the written. The test will be valid for two years unless you fly 121, then it doesn't expire.
Do not waste your money.

Don't waste your money.

When you get to the point in your career where you are making application to major and national carriers - look to see what they require to apply. If a company you want to work for requires the FE written, then take it. Its that simple.

Good luck.

To answer your question

Contact Aeroservices in MIA. They are located north of the field on NW 36th St. If I may add my .02 worth. I did what you are considering, however I did it back in 1997 when you could pick up a rating and IOE experience to make you current and qualified. That was a key to being picked up by many ofthe 727 operators. Considering current markets, unless someone has said I will put you on the panel if you get your ticket don't bother.

If you still do it, be prepared, this is not a "flying checkride". It is all about systems (you really need to know them) knowledge and a sim-ride you will not want to repeat. I have taken them and I have given them.

As for the written, the majors are dumping the 727. AA andUAL do not have them anymore, and the others are phasing them out. IF and when we hire again I can't see it being a requirement anymore as you will be hired as a first officer.

Good luck and "auto pack trip" armed
AAflyer

Latest resources

Back