Worth it to get ground instructor cert?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Aside from it being a requirement for a Gold Seal. What would be the reason to get a IGI or AGI? I hear go for the AGI since he can do everything the IGI and BGI can do. Also is it a entirely different certificate?

Thanks

It's not hard to get AGI/IGI. Really isn't useful other than as another card in your wallet and the gold seal. Does look good on a resume if you are talking to someone who doesn't know what it means :)

I hear go for the AGI since he can do everything the IGI and BGI can do.

The AGI cannot do everything an IGI can. The regulations aren't entirely clear on what you can or can't teach different between AGI/IGI. They are clear though when it comes for sign offs for knowledge tests. AGI = certificate / IGI = rating. So you need IGI to endorse for instrument written.

The best advantage for getting AGI/IGI is that you do not need to keep records on written sign off's as a ground instructor. You do as a CFI.

I agree with the above posters. It never hurts to get another rating or two, especially when they are relatively quick and painless to get like the AGI and IGI. Plus, depending on who you look at for future employment, they might allow you to put another "check in the box" and get another point or two above the competition for a job. Key word there is "might."

Not to be contrary, but at this point in my career I believe that 'checks in the box' just don't matter enough to make it worth the time/money. Get the CFI if you want a useful resume bullet.

If you're going to be a sim instructor then maybe it would be worth it, but like the guy said above, unless the person doing the interview doesn't know anything, no one is really going to care about your AGI/IGI.

I Found the AGI a great tool as not only a prep to the CFI written, but i was able to teach ground school. Since my school sold the complex ac a week after i got my commerical, i decided why not? So instead of treading water i did something productive.

Our school is encouraging people to get their AGI to start help teaching ground schools, and seminars. That opens some doors for people, and might help motivate them to one day change that into a CFI?

Does the AGI come from the CAX stuff or do you study the Flight Ground Gleim? I am hitting the FOI now and plan on taking the IGI and AGI soon.

I use ASA test prep books, and like its format versus gleim. In the ASA book the first section is FOI, and everything else is after.

So, I am currently hitting the Gleim for the CAX written and have a chance of working as a Ground Instuctor if I can get the test out of the way. My question is: Does the AGI come out of the CAX stuff or should I hit the Gleim Flight/Ground Instructor and take both those writtens as well. I probably won't pursue the CFI for a year or so and don't want to waste money and or useless study time right now. Guidance is appreciated.

Latest resources

Back