Worst turbulence experienced

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JohnE

After reading the article yesterday about a FA yelling "We're all gonna die..." during some severe turbulence, I started thinking...

Whats the worst turbulence you have ever experienced? I've flown in 40kt gusty conditions, which I guess would be categorized as moderate turb. Never had the plane roll on me, wondering if thats even possible.

Or when you enter a cloud going one direction and come out 90 degrees to your original course, in a bank, head being banged against the crew door, headseat now on your lap and your flight bag inverted on the dash with Bay Approach asking you why you are not following the heading they gave you because now you are encroaching on the final approach course for RWY 11 at OAK instead of intercepting the final appch course for the VOR 9R appch at OAK...

or...when you're sleeping in the back of the plane in OAK and when you fell asleep, the nose was pointing straight at KaiserAir but when you awoke, the nose was cocked 30 degrees to the right!

Eric

Some bumps you remember more than others...

Last year near KBOS on a beautiful, clear day, LeadSled and I heard a 747 crew reporting severe turbulence ahead of us @ ~FL200. A few minutes later, we lost 75kts of airspeed and were looking at the ground through the windscreen, 40+degrees off course. Before we recovered, the left and right "OIL PRESS" lights illuminated followed by the oil pressure needles dropping to zero (the oil pumps unported from negative G's). Good times! Fortunately, no pax were onboard.

Arrogant "chief" pilot ! This old doper is always trying to impress people with his bravery and heroics! The guy flys for a plumbing supply company in Meridian, Ms. Scares the hell out of you most of the time! Flew through some crap that 99% of pilots would have gone around! I no longer work with this fool and dang glad of it!!

(o) (o) said:
Is KaiserAir still in business?

Yup...visit there at least twice a month...

Check out Fbohotties.com for some of the CS gals!

Eric

Lost 400' of altitude and entered a 60 degree bank once after hitting CAT at FL350 near Asheville, NC once.

Another time hit wake turbulence 10 miles behind a 747 that was descending through my altitude... rolled us 45 degrees each way very quickly.

Think the worst though was in a seminole ferry flight over the blue ridge mountains... hit a mountain wave that was so bad, I actually broke a plastic panel in the ceiling when my flight bag was launched into it during a sudden altitude drop.

Always a blast... and better than any rollercoaster!

Flyerjosh said:
Lost 400' of altitude and entered a 60 degree bank once after hitting CAT at FL350 near Asheville, NC once.

Another time hit wake turbulence 10 miles behind a 747 that was descending through my altitude... rolled us 45 degrees each way very quickly.

Think the worst though was in a seminole ferry flight over the blue ridge mountains... hit a mountain wave that was so bad, I actually broke a plastic panel in the ceiling when my flight bag was launched into it during a sudden altitude drop.

Always a blast... and better than any rollercoaster!

I've heard that some of the worst turbulence around is caused by the Appalachians. Kinda surprising considering how much larger the Rockies and Sierras are.

I had the worse I have ever experienced just last Monday. It was both hands on the yoke, crap flying around the cockpit, night IMC staring at a little itty bitty attitude indicator. I swear that thing seems to get smaller when the bumps get larger.

Latest resources

Back