Worst Seat (For you commuters)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sppedmode

I was commuting home after a long four day trip and got stuck in the middle seat of a 757 between two "big-boned" people in an exit row that the seat doesn't recline. Had I not gone to my "Happy Place" several times throughout the flight, I probably would have gone postal. With as many pilots on this website, I'd love to hear your worst seat/commute home stories.
PS...before the 757 guys ride my ass about their aircraft, I fly the CRJ and know first had how bad our seats are too :)

Worst Seat (For you commuters)

that would be the seat at the gate as the plane you were trying to get on leaves with you being bump out of the jumpseat and every seat in the cabin full.

I feel sorry for ya buddy, but been there.

FlyChicaga said:
I got the very last seat available going from MDW-MSP on a 737-800 on a pass last November. It was a middle seat of course. I had a guy next to me fall asleep, and start leaning my direction. I kinda leaned away, and the woman next to me made a nasty remark how "it isn't going to happen." I said "Sorry, I'm getting invaded here..." She hit the guy, woke him up, and they started arguing. With me in the middle.

Ah yes, the joys of public transportation... I hope my CEO is reading this!

AS much as I love the plane, I have to speak poorly of it for a moment.

Row 9 in the Beech 1900 has three seats across the back. Seat 9B (the only B seat in the place) is samdwiched between two other 16 inch wide seats, with no arm rest at all. There is absolutely no way to avoid full arm and leg contact with your neighbor pax in that seat.

This can really suck when the VCM (AC) is not working on a 90F day and you're 10th in line for takeoff.

While I was not commuting to work, the worst seat I have ever had was a center seat, in the center aisle from Auckland, to LAX. 12 hours and I didnt get up once....And to make it worse, I had to jumpseat from LAX to PHL and get "schooled" on why I should not be able to fly jets and how we are stealing mainline routes. I would have rather sat in the middle seat again.

Middle seat , non reclining in the last row of an old Iberia 747 Combi from Miami to Madrid (Barajas). I thought I was going to lose my mind for sure.

Middle seat on a ragged-out B-707 on SPIA (South Pacific Island Airways) from Honolulu to Pago Pago. I was wedged in between two 300 lb Samoans, so leaning one way or another was not an option. The leaky cabin raised the cabin altitude to probably somewheres around 10,000 ft, exacerbating the Samoans flatulent condition to appalling level. All I could do was lean forward with my elbows together and breathe thru my mouth.
(For 5 1/2 hours)

I personally don't like the window seat in the last row of the MD-80 (MD-88?). Can't see anything but the side of the engine, and the noise is absolutely terrible, especially when the pilots don't bother to sync the RPMs. I also can't help but think of that accident awhile back where an engine decided to eat itself and send pieces into the cabin.

So basically I sit there for a couple of hours with a headache from the beats in the engine noise, all while praying that some mechanic didn't miss some microscopic crack in a compressor disk that could potentially send a lot of metal through my relatively soft body. Meanwhile you can't see a danged thing out the window, and you have the people standing in line for the lav, looking over at you with a look on their face that says, "What did that guy do to deserve THAT crappy seat!?"

Last edited:
personally don't like the window seat in the last row of the MD-80 (MD-88?). Can't see anything but the side of the engine, and the noise is absolutely terrible, especially when the pilots don't bother to sync the RPMs. I also can't help but think of that accident awhile back where an engine decided to eat itself and send pieces into the cabin.

MD-80's have an engine sync. selectable to N1 fan, or N2 turbine most guys run it on fan. you cannot hear an out of sync condition in the cockpit of an 80. DC-9's have no auto sync and you can only hear it if you listen real closely, some pilots care some don't.

Check in earlier!! The answer to all your problems

There aren't too many left around, but the jumpseat on the 737-200 directly behind the Captain for a couple hours really gives you a bad case of Boeing butt!

Latest resources

Back