Worst interview experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NetJets about two months ago.
It wasn't really a bad experience, but I felt like a small fish in a big pond.

Anyway, the first day, I arrived for Indoc and got to know the other 7 people in the interview class. Turns out I'm the only FO in the group, plus I only had 2700+ hours with 0 PIC turbine. Everybody else has between 4000 and 9000 hours and is currently a captain.
The guy closest to me in qulifications is a 38 year old, 4000+ hour guy who just retired from the military flying generals around in Gulfstreams all over the world.
After getting the tour of the facilities, we meet one of the interviewers, a Falcon 2000 captain. He asks what each of us are doing currently...everybody else flies passengers, I'm the only freight dog. Then they procede to give us a handout which inside reads "someone with 2000 hours flying passengers might be considered more qualified than someone with 5000 hours who flies freight". Oh great!

The day of the interview, while talking to the Falcon 2000 captains before the interview, they stated that 80% of their pilots are from the airlines. I asked "why don't they hire more 135 guys since they're used to the schedule and type of flying NetJets does?" He replied "Frankly, we don't think 135 guys can pass our groundschool". (That's the biggest load I've heard lately...I've been through both, and my 135 groundschool was just as hard as my 121 groundschool).
During the interview, they then told me that they don't consider my prior airline experience the kind of passenger flying NetJets does since we didn't really have to "deal with the passengers"...then why do they hire 80% airline guys?

Finally, I knew I wasn't getting the job when I asked one of those who interviewed before me what their interview was like and they said " it was very easy-going, they really put you at ease". My interview was quite the opposite (see below).
*One guy interviewed, and 10 minutes into the process, the interviewer found out that he was a reserve police officer and stopped the interview and decided to hire him because he too was a reserve police officer.*

When it was my turn, it was just the opposite; those guys grilled me. I was in there for at least 45 minutes, probably more. They asked me a ton of questions, none of them were on any of the interview gouges I read online. I only got two questions wrong that I know of and I flew the simulator well too, but I still didn't get the job.
It's a damn shame too, because I actually wanted that job. Some of the other guys who got hired were just using it as a place to stay until SWA or FedEx called.

Last edited:
Should have said "please, please can I buy airline tix from my own pocket?" Oh, and I'll do it on my 7th day off as well!

just having fun fellas! needed something to read tonight.

Other than that, ACA was my worst experience. Nothing crazy, but they were very condescending to us during the interview. Three of us would interview at a time, and they would pit us against each other if someone was unsure of their answer to a technical question.

The only time they were nice to me was after I turned down my class date. Suddenly they wanted to sweet talk me into staying. Shame, back then it seemed like a great place to work.

Actually, ACA was one of the best overall interview experiences I've had (mid 90s). The part with the other applicant wasn't too bad, as long as you had other applicants who were simpatico. Nobody got in each other's faces. And the interviewers were polite & professional from start to finish.

Comair was much worse...the chief pilot asked how old I was, if I was married and a bunch of other questions that I thought were off limits. Plus their sim ride was a joke.

Trans States

I remember getting called for the interview 1 day after I faxed my resume.

I was in a suit and the interviewer was in jeans at the "hotel"/corporate offices of the time. Now that I think of it, could I not have sued because they asked to interview me in a hotel room? I remember putting my brief case on the fold up card table and presenting my documents. The place looked like a flying club.

I hear it is much better now but I remember thinking to myself...

"And this is the highlight of my career so far"....

Better story was when I was flying IOE at o dark hundred in a cold J41 and even the deice truck didn't work at JFK. I sat and watched in amazement as the deice truck was pushed around the plane with a tug.

Kudos for the can do atmosphere, shame for letting an organization get to that point. We had some great people there that rowed that leaky boat to shore.

I second that....

Anyplace where the chief pilot brags about passing out after his aircraft was hit by lightning during the interview is suspect.

Washka isn't the chief. My experience at AirNet was overall good, and at no point did they come up with any kind of war story like that. They were professional from beginning to end, though I didn't really care for one of the guys giving the company overview. Everyone who interviewed me (including Washka) was professional about it.

I got an offer later that week. Have a bad attitude = get bad results.

Washka isn't the chief. My experience at AirNet was overall good, and at no point did they come up with any kind of war story like that. They were professional from beginning to end, though I didn't really care for one of the guys giving the company overview. Everyone who interviewed me (including Washka) was professional about it.

I got an offer later that week. Have a bad attitude = get bad results.

I think I still have a buisness card with his name on it that says chief pilot. He told us the story during lunch. You know when it's time for storytime at Airnet. I'm not naming names on a public forum either you are.

Maybe he was just telling you that so you'd get scared and leave on your own accord and he wouldn't have to break the bad news that you weren't hired. Hehe, I'm just kidding. I never heard a story like that when I interviewed, although he broke me down in the interview where I didn't know my a** from my hand. That was my first "agressive" interview ever.

CM

The best story I heard while I was at SkyWest involved a pilot who had flown in the day before but his luggage (with interview suit/resume'). He waitied anxiously at the hotel the morning of the interview for his bags to be delivered. Once they were, he rushed to his room, ironed his suit, grabbed a handful of resume's and made the interview on time breathing a sigh of relief.

As he sat down for the one on one, he placed his reume' on the table in front of the interviewer. The captain took one look at it, turned it around, slid it back to the applicant, and pointed out the Career Objective which said: "To be a pilot at Horizon Airlines". The applicant literally put his head on the table thinking he was toast. After a good laugh and a good interview from then on, the pilot got the job.....but was from then on known as Horizon.

Latest resources

Back