• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worse Commutes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We had a Air Wisconsin Capt jumpseating on my SMF-LAS last week he then was going on to PHL on the red eye for a 9:00am show, 3 legs the first day. What blew me away was that he was 57 years old and been doing this commute for 7 yrs. I asked him, "can you at least sleep on the flight to Philly?" he said "not really". Man, I really felt for that guy, I'll never complain about doing red eyes ever again.

Mainstreet actually turns into Williamsburg Rd. That change in street names on the same road will really get you. This 7.4 mile drive is killing me. Yes I said 7.4 miles. I love liveing in base.

The worse commute is in you car, burning fuel that is continually getting more and more expensive, sitting in traffic for 2+ hours a day 5 days a week.

Everytime I drive around in commute traffic I don't know how people do it.

I don't make a lot of my money in my job, but when I consider how much you have to spend to get to work these days it makes my commute(s) seem to be not too much of a imposition.

OMA-SJU

$1800 taken out of my AMR paycheck on 1st year regional FO pay for "Non-rev" charges on AA. Went off-line as much as possible (>50% of the time) United, NWA, Delta, Continental, UPS etc. AA 757 Captain accused me of trying to steal from AMR when I requested a jumpseat pass so I wouldn't have to pay.

makes the new commute from OMA-ORD seem like a State Trooper's commute. . . walk out your front door and get behind the wheel of your office.

Once met a Saudia captain during his commute -- from Riyadh to Sisters, Oregon.

What about the Aloha guy that lived in Flint, MI and commuted to HNL?

My fav was when ProAir was still around and based at Detroit City airport and there was a guy who lived in HNL. It was especially cool when NWA was on strike in '98. And after all that travel he still had to find a ride from DTW to DET...ouch.

Oh I almost forgot, Mesaba has a guy who commutes from Brazil to DTW. Yes for a regional job.

Ouch... some of these commutes sound even worse than when I commuted CLE-Guam for a year. Even on a good day it took 24 hrs to get to work, usually thru Japan, Nagoya or Narita. I tried thru HNL a few times, but what a pain in the butt since it was usually overbooked.

The absolute worst was my last trip leaving GUM, took me almost 48 hrs to get home; GUM-NRT-HNL-LAX-CLE. Just shoot me, please. Living in base is soooo much better than that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back