• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worse Commutes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
walk out door, get on blue line, go two subway stops, there i am.

JetMonkey said:
We had a Air Wisconsin Capt jumpseating on my SMF-LAS last week he then was going on to PHL on the red eye for a 9:00am show, 3 legs the first day. What blew me away was that he was 57 years old and been doing this commute for 7 yrs. I asked him, "can you at least sleep on the flight to Philly?" he said "not really". Man, I really felt for that guy, I'll never complain about doing red eyes ever again.

That capt was probably doing an easy commute for years to DEN or ORD. PHL is a relatively new base and the most commutable of our 3. I must say though, the guys that live in PHX, LAS, SFO, and LAX have an easier commute then the guys in Denver and Chicago. Most of these places have mutiple red eyes and easily satisfy our commuter clause, where as Denver, where I would venture to say 15%+ of our pilot group commutes from, only has one red eye on Frontier.

My FO this month commutes to DTW from Guam. Only gets to go home once a month usually.

i had a JAL jumpseater, i cannot remember where he was going, either gulfport or austin, but i beleive he said his commute was HNL, MEM to somewhere else...those are some long legs...is JAL worth it? why not live in HNL until retirement ha...i would live there before even home sweet home minneapolis. any JAL guys out there know the scoop on getting on there? XJ Avro Fo wanting to leave a sinking ship....

private message me with some advice! Dam i am desperate......

Ace McCoy said:
What about the Aloha guy that lived in Flint, MI and commuted to HNL?

Yep, he's still around.

We had a captain that was commuting from someplace in Iowa to HNL. Another commuted IAH to HNL.

Lots of us commute from the mainland and the rides are always greatly appreciated!

"Commuting sucks, don't do it...:rolleyes:[/quote]"

The best advice ever!

Diesel said:
walk out door, get on blue line, go two subway stops, there i am.

Diesel - you must live in BOS - boy your easy commute is making me nostalgic for that place :). I was based there from 03-04 with ACA and lived about four blocks from Lechmere; it was about four stops on the Green Line to Government Center, then about four on the Blue and I was at Logan. My best time ever, I made it to the crew room 35 minutes after stepping out of my front door. There was nothing like reading that freebie newspaper on the T instead of worrying about the insane BOS traffic - plus I'd routinely make it to the airport quicker than coworkers who had cars and drove.

Enjoy BOS - have some clam CHOWDAH for me!

JTrain said:
Diesel - you must live in BOS - boy your easy commute is making me nostalgic for that place :). I was based there from 03-04 with ACA and lived about four blocks from Lechmere; it was about four stops on the Green Line to Government Center, then about four on the Blue and I was at Logan. My best time ever, I made it to the crew room 35 minutes after stepping out of my front door. There was nothing like reading that freebie newspaper on the T instead of worrying about the insane BOS traffic - plus I'd routinely make it to the airport quicker than coworkers who had cars and drove.

Enjoy BOS - have some clam CHOWDAH for me!

Too cool! I was forced there by NWA as a new hire, but under the contract they had to put me up in the Sheraton-Prudential Center. Rough! To show how cheap airline pilots are, on my first trip to Frankfurt, Germany, on the DC-10 out of Boston, the captain told me to exchange US dollars for a roll of 50-pfennig coins (about 55-cents). They are the exact size, shape, and weight as a T token. The T fare was 85-cents then...so we saved 30-cents.

I still have half a roll, and just for yuks, used one on a BOS layover a few months ago. Worked like a champ!

Now that's cheap!

A bad commute: We have a pilot that commutes from Madrid to Detroit. He's married to an Iberian F/A, and uses her passes to get to/from JFK.

Yeah JTrain its beantown. Gotta love it. Roll on to the subway, avoid the homelessguys, steal a free newspaper, hear the T conductor yell obsentities into the PA system, avoid getting mugged once again, realize that Maverick if friggin scarry, avoid eye contact, avoid getting mugged, get off the train, watch some guy flip out on the Toll taker because she won't open the gate, watch the guy scream at her a call her a C&nt. Get on the T bus realize the T bus driver is nowhere around yell at the guy to get on the bus and get us to the termnial. Scream at the guy as he misses stop one B side terminal. Get off the bus and jump out of the way as the T bus tries to hit you.

Ahh commuting on the Boston T.

By the way tokens are out. They use charlie cards now. Which is even more funny to watch people scream at the toll takers because they won't take a token.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back