Worried about vision.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lasik

I did Lasik six months ago. It got me from 20/200 to 20/20 with no major complications. I've heard of several pilots at my airline who have had it done. Our loss of license insurance normally doesn't cover elective surgery but it did cover lasik...my conclusion is that the risk is low. I had a restriction on my medical to carry glasses when I flew with my contacts. To get that removed I need to have a special eye exam. I believe that without this restriction on my medical I could have had a normal flight physical and only had to meet first class standards...which isn't a problem.

The Bates Method

The Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses: A tested method for improving vision by the doctor who originated and perfected it., ISBN 0805002413. I found it on bn.com for $10.80. Try your local bookstore, though, to save on postage.

An old United captain told me about Dr. Bates' book. He told me that shortly after he finished college he was told he needed glasses. He got the book, practiced the exercises, and avoided glasses. This gentleman flew fighters and C-47s in WWII. After the war, he got on with United, who put him right into DC-3s. He retired about 1980, with the 10 being his last aircraft. I last saw this gentleman about ten years ago and he was NOT wearing glasses!

Unfortunately, I cannot report a similar success story. I practiced the exercises and they didn't help me, probably because my vision was too far gone for the exercises to help me. The palming exercise, in which you cover your eye to provide darkness and help it relax, did help a little, though.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back