World's Largest Airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

astroglider

Just curious...I've heard in the news a few times that the combination of UAL and CAL will create the world's largest airline.

If I use the BTS website and data from Airline Pilot Central I get a different answer.

Fleet size:
DAL=789
UAL+CAL= 705

Pax Enplanements: Jan-Mar 2010

DAL= 15.119 million
UAL + CAL= 14.2 million

Delta's Revenue Per Pax Mile was higher than UAL and CAL combined as well.

What am I missing here? Seems like DAL is still the world's largest airline. I didn't check employee head counts...maybe that's what the newscasters are talking about?

Anyone?

Astroglider

A combined entity will have 21 per cent of the US domestic market share, which puts it ahead of Delta, which currently has 20 per cent domestic market share.

The merger will also make up 7 per cent of the global capacity, ahead of Delta, the current leader with 6 per cent.

A combined entity will have 21 per cent of the US domestic market share, which puts it ahead of Delta, which currently has 20 per cent domestic market share.

The merger will also make up 7 per cent of the global capacity, ahead of Delta, the current leader with 6 per cent.

So the WORLD's largest airline is based on domestic traffic. Brilliant!!

Trust me it is bs. After the deal goes thru and market share gained will give way to a shrink to profitability strategy. They will park more planes and there will be furloughs

Chill Guppy, it was just a simple question. I didn't think the news services had it right. Obviously they don't...if everyone would take a look at the figures on BTS you'll see...

ASM Which would equal market share don't you think?
RSM
Fleet size
Operating revenue

All bigger at DAL then the combined UAL - CAL operation.

Typical news sources never get our industry right...

You should be asking which airline pays its pilots the biggest paycheck.

Latest resources

Back