World Airways Questions?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

timetoquit

I have a World interview in a few weeks and wanted to know some more details about their operation:

1. Are they hiring for the MD11 or DC10?
2. Is there a training contract?
3. How long is training and are you paid during?
4. How long are upgrades?
5. Does World furlough often?
6. How does World compare to other similar companies (Gemini, Omni, etc)?
7. What's the deal with the 744s?

Also, does anyone have a link to the new contract?

And last of all, do you recommend leaving a DC10 operator where upgrade is coming quick to go to World long term?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Congrats! Here are some answers to your questions. Others may correct me if my info is old or incorrect.
1 - MD-11
2 - Yes
3 - 6 weeks, and yes you are paid. I don't recall how much and the hotel is paid for too.
4 - Good question. Right now its running about 5-6 years. If it stays that way I'll be happy. There is a possibility that things could slow down. It all depends if we get more DC-10s.
5 - No. Last furlough was 9/11 when they, and everyone, thought aviation would take a serious hit. It lasted only a month. They are very conservative abou hiring.
6 - My opinion, we're #1 in AMC lift and ACMI MD-11 freight. We've got a heavy hitter on the Board of Directors and we capture a large chunk of AMC international requirements. If we had more airplanes we could capture more, but what do I know.
7 - 6 are on the way, so they say. They better show up or I maybe wearing a different uniform soon. First one in '08. Hopefully one or two of the six will be PAX birds. If not bye-bye to a bunch of our F/As.

Contract is not available electronically. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Another good question, its all about the fourth stripe for me too. Here's the only bit of bad news about World. We have hired a bunch of pilots recently. You'd be far down the list. But with the airlines recalling that list will shrink. I wish it would shrink above me.

Good luck

Pay during training as of the new contract is $1200/month with $57.60 a day in perdiem. Guarantee ($3762.46 65 Hrs X 57.88) starts after your Type Ride or Loft. I cant remember which but they are normally within a few days of each other. I've averaged about 71 hours of pay a month, but others from my class have averaged alot more. By the time you hit second year pay it will be 81.66 followed by 84.10 on 2 Mar 08.

Without new aircraft on the ramp, looking at the seniority list, I believe there will be a degree of stagnation. Thats just my opinion.

Good Luck, Its a great job!

I was just on the World website today and did not see anything about hiring pilots. How do I apply? I used to do some contract dispatch and ops stuff and World was one of our wetlease outfits. I was always impressed with the crews and the operation in general. Am I missing something on the website?

The last I heard it may be for the DC-10 and MD-11. There are some openings on both airframes.

I am not sure why the job is not listed on the website but you can send in a cover letter/ resume or attend a job fair they are going to be at. The best is have a WOA crew member carry in your resume with a recomendation.

There have been many threads on this subject so if you do a search it should reveal several minutes of reading......

Good Luck

btw, what's the deal with the purchase of North American Airlines? Is there a merger in the works for the pilots there, or are these destined to remain two entities? Any bad blood between the two groups?

what's the deal with the purchase of North American Airlines?
It made sense. World and NA did the same flying. I think the guys at NA are busier now that World purchased them.
Is there a merger in the works for the pilots there, or are these destined to remain two entities? Any bad blood between the two groups
No merger in the works and no bad blood. Why would there be? World had too much business and not enough airplanes. I predict that is still the case.

I cant decide which is a better choice as I have the following opportunities:

World MD11 FO or Omni DC10 Captain?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back