World Airways questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jettypeguy

My son is interested in World with their recent hiring, but I don't know much about them maybe you guys could answer a few questions? thanks.

1)I know World guys aren't ALPA but do they have an in-house union?

2)How is the relationship with pilots and management?

3)I know they are hiring for 2 new MD-11's but I've read that a/some DC-10's might be retired, would this mean furloughs in the future

4)When is the contract pay rates amendable?

Thanks if you can help.

World

World is now based in ATL; moved down from IAD. They are Teamsters and not ALPA. You can log on to www.airlinepilotpay.com to check out the latest pay. They are looking to get 767s and will park some 10s. I've flown with some great guys who have flown for World. They have lots of flying for the gov't; AMC/CRAF. They have a milk run that goes from Kadena AFB in Okinawa to SEATAC. I don't think they'll be furloughing anytime soon.

"...are looking to get 767s and will park some 10s."

This changes everyday. Last rumors I heard are that we're keeping the 10s, and possibly adding more DC-10s. They make too much money. I also heard two more MD-11 PAX aircraft in addition to the two freighters mentioned. That would explain why they're advertising for pilots rather than simply hiring from the resumes they have on hand.

“Anyone have an idea how long upgrades are running?”

7 to 8 years, but if we keep adding aircraft that number could hopefully be cut in half.

Great company, they've furloughed only once in 55 years, after Desert Storm, which lasted only a few months. They take hiring very seriously. Management and pilots get along fine.

New contract pending.

Home basing is great!

Last edited:
I have a few friends that fly there. They seem to like it, they are still there after 4 or 5 years. The only complaint I have heard from them was the schedule during the latest Iraqi war. Better like long trips if you go here.

I've heard that Delta has approached them to discuss selling off some MD-11s. Not sure if it is true but it sounds feasible... The World CEO formerly worked at Delta, Continental and Air Canada I believe...

Typical Schedule?

How long can you expect to be away from home?

Thanks

trip length

It depends...It generally averaged out to 2 weeks on and two off. Although there were bid lines that would have three 5-6 day trips as well. There were times that I was gone for 28 days as well (not the norm).

Per dieum was $2.40/hour.

Latest resources

Back