• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

World Airways questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you want to see the "world" go fly for World Airways.... I like those MD-11s but I hear they are difficult to land.

I just submitted my bid's for October in the LAX base. The lines average 15 days off, most of the them consist of 1 big trip. For example my first choice, which I probably won't get, begins on the 10th and finishes on the 23rd. It has 17 days off and is worth 79 hours. Our lowest regular line is credited at 71 hours and the highest is 89 hours. Minimum days off are 12, however, if they need to, they can "buy" some days off from you (I haven't had that happen yet).

I've been at World since January and I enjoy it very much. I have been around the world twice already and have been to many places I have never even heard of (I carry an Atlas with me). There are pro's and con's to every company. I don't mind the long trips. It is great to live where you want to live, and not worry about commuting.

As for the rumors of A/C and hiring... We are short pilots, but as was said here earlier, the company is very conservative when it comes to hiring because they don't want to furlough. I believe the 10 new MD-11 F/O positions are not for the new aircraft, but for retirements and upgrades. I think they'll hire another 30 or 40 for the 2 new MD-11F's that will (supposedly) be here next year. I haven't heard the 2 additional PAX MD-11 rumor yet, but it would be great to add some more MD-11's. I think the 767's are up in the air still, I believe there is an ETOPS certification problem and the company doesn't have a solution yet. We'll see...

I hope this answers some questions.

Yes, if you quit within 24 months you must pay them back for the cost of the MD-11 type rating. I believe its about 50K and its pro rated. They are serious about you staying with the company after they paid Delta that much for a type. Yes, Delta does the new hire ground school (systems and FTD's), World sim instructors provide the rest of the sim training and our in house check airmen do the type rides. If you furloughed from a major they will require a letter of resignation on the first day of class. I hope this helps.

How do you like the MD11 after flying the CRJ? With the extensive worldwide travel, do you find yourself jetlagged constantly or do you find that you respond well to it? I have heard good things about World from a number of pilots.

Its hard to compare the MD-11 to the CRJ. The MD-11 actually performs well even at max gross! Well... compared to the RJ I think it performs well at Max gross! I am fine with the long legs. Our layovers are longer than most other airlines so you have plenty of time to rest in between flights. Plus we operate with 3 sometimes 4 pilots. On the 4 man flights you are only working for about 5 or 6 hours. Rather easy! The glass cockpit/FMS experiance of the RJ made the transition much easier. The only thing about the long hauls that isn't so great is the number of landings you make. Its hard to be consistent with your landings when you only make 2 or 3 a month. Plus if you screw one up you'll have to live with it for a couple of weeks! :)

World news

World Airways to offer service in China, Germany
Thu Sep 16, 2004 05:31 PM ET
NEW YORK, Sept 16 (Reuters) - World Airways Inc. (WLDA.O: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Thursday it would begin operating freighter aircraft between Germany and China for a unit of Lufthansa Cargo Charter, its first long-term agreement with Lufthansa Cargo.

The announcement came six days after the company said it would share a U.S. Air Force airlift contract worth almost $1 billion.

Shares of World Airways rose to $4.51 from their Nasdaq close at $3.93.

The Peachtree City, Georgia-based cargo carrier said it would provide international cargo service between Nuremberg, Germany, and Xian, China. The service will begin in October 2004 and continue through December 2005. The service is worth about $23 million for the term of the agreements, the company said.

I
believe its about 50K and its pro rated.
Ouch, 50 K for a type rating..?

Ya sure about that one? We ain't talking Concorde or Space Shuttle are we?

Met may World crews out there on the Haj and other non-sced ops.
Pretty good life if ya enjoy the time away from home.

Hmm, home based these days?

Big plus in my book, but I am either signing a training contract OR re-signing the seniority number...Not both.
That right or typo?

Latest resources

Back