Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tabord

Alright folks, this is it!!!!

Your's truly has an interview with World Airways on Sept. 3rd and 4th. Any info some you World"ers" may have would be great, otherwise I'll let you know how it goes!!!!

Ciao!!!!

Just curious did you have a rec. from someone at World or just send in an app? Good luck, and congrats on the interview!:)

Congrats on the interview! I got a call from a Capt. Robinson about my resume. Unfortunately, I wasn't home. Now I can't get ahold of him at the extension he left. What a drag. Hopefully he will call back. Anyway, good luck on the interview. I may be contacting you later for some intel. If the recruiter calls back that is...

Yeah, I did have one recommendation.

I did talk to Capt. Robinson. Don't worry too much about him not calling you back. His wife is eight mo. pregnant so he's spending a lot of time at home. I do know he checks his voice mail at work, because I had to play a little phone tag with him, too. He did, however call back eventually.

Ciao

Congrats Tabord! I understand that if you are granted an interview that they really want you. Don't crash the sim and all should be well!:D Just understand that you will be on the road for a good stretch! But, my buddy at World just went back out after being home for 17 days! All the best and let us know how it goes! Wil

what bases do they have and where are pilots commonly assigned?

Diesel,

First of all, nice bag, it looks just like mine. Secondly, from what the recruiter told me, there are no pilot bases at World. You're home based. You just have to live within a certain distance to an airline served by a major or national carrier. They just buy you tickets to where ever you need to go to picl up your trip.

Are they still assigning people to the DC-10 (cargo), or the MD-11?
I think we sold them a couple or maybe three MD-11s recently....

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

All World Pilots are home based.. The company has to buy you a ticket to whereever your trip starts from( As a former commuter this is huge!--no stessing out about getting to work , if the plane cancels that is their problem)
We do have 2 bases, IAD and LAX-which dictates what type of flying you primarily do as Lax base is primarily Asia.

As far as being gone alot- yes that is a possibility!..It may not be for everyone and it takes getting used to.( I have only been here 3 years and maybe Im not the norm but I think I am home now more days per month than when I worked for a commuter. If I averaged all together I am guessing I am home 18-20 days per month although I have seen a few long stretches)

In the past they hired into both airplanes.. recently the union won a grievance and we had a master bid to sort out the seniority list and now they are supposed to put all new hires as second officers... I have seen some new hires going onto the Md-11 as most of the second officers have already had chance to upgrade or they are professional engineers or retired Captains.

Bigsky,

Thanks for the info. I have personally been interested in World for quite some time. I have a few questions for you:

1. Can you list some of the exotic destinations you currently fly to?

2. Can you give us an "idea" of a typical (if there is a typical) rotation for you on the MD-11?

3. How does DC-10 flying differ from MD-11 flying in terms of routes, mission type, and time away from home?

4. Which aircraft would newhires be assigned to most likely?

5. Lastly, how do you like the MD-11 vs. the DC-10? I hear the MD-11 can be a bit difficult to fly - especially on landing... How do you like the glass?

Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back